McFarland, Paltsios, Carr Take Home Final #AEWSOC Awards
BOSTON - Albany, Hartford and Vermont earned the America East women's soccer final weekly awards of the year, as the conference regular-season came to a close on Sunday. The women's soccer championship begins with quarterfinal games on Thursday, Oct. 29, at 7 p.m. Hartford won their second-straight regular-season title, while UMBC, Vermont and Albany all won games to clinch spots in the tournament on Sunday.
Here are the week ten award winners:
Co-Player of the Week
Caitlyn Paltsios, Albany, Jr., Westford, Mass.
- Totaled one goal and one assists in a 2-0 week for the Great Danes.
- Had an assist in a 4-0 win over UMass Lowell.
- Scored the game-winning goal on a corner kick in a win over Maine, helping Albany clinch the No. 2 seed in the conference tournament.
Co-Player of the Week
Nikki McFarland, Vermont, Jr., Deer Park, N.Y.
- Scored the game-winning goal in a 2-1 win over Binghamton, clinching a tournament spot for the Catamounts.
- It was McFarland's team-leading sixth goal of the season.
Rookie of the Week
Julia Carr, Hartford, Fr., Guilford, Conn.
- Scored two goals in a huge, 2-0, win for the Hawks over New Hampshire on Thursday, helping Hartford clinch its second-straight regular-season title.
- Both goals came on penalty kicks in the 52nd and 65th minutes.
- Carr ranks second on the team with six goals and 17 points.
- Hartford won the America East regular season title for the second-straight year.
- The Hawks have posted double-digit wins in each of the last five seasons.
- Albany earned the second seed in the America East tournament, the highest finish ever for the Great Danes.
- Vermont grabbed the No. 3 seed in the tournament, the highest finish for the Catamounts since 1996.
- The Hawks’ 1-0 loss marked the team’s first time it was shutout in a contest since the start of America East action
- Hartford head coach John Natale is one win short of tying the program’s record for all-time wins; he enters the postseason with a 102-85-38 overall record
Weekly Award Winners
Aug. 24 - Co-Players of the Week: Aaliyah Ingram, Hartford & Mimi Borkan, New Hampshire; Rookie of the Week: Julia Carr, Hartford
Aug. 31 - Player of the Week: Brooke Murphy, New Hampshire; Rookie of the Week: Anetra Byfield, Maine
Sept. 8 - Player of the Week: Aaliyah Ingram, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Julia Carr, Hartford
Sept. 14 - Player of the Week: Manuela Corcho, Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Julia Carr, Hartford
Sept. 21 - Player of the Week: Rylee Osgood, Vermont; Rookie of the Week: Julia Schneider, UMass Lowell
Sept. 28 - Player of the Week: Brooke Murphy, New Hampshire; Rookie of the Week: Gaby Dorsey, New Hampshire
Oct. 5 - Co-Players of the Week: Brooke Murphy, New Hampshire & Jessica Jurg, Hartford; Co-Rookies of the Week: Katelyn Vieira, UMass Lowell & Hayley Nolan, Hartford
Oct. 12 - Player of the Week: Raven Edwards, Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week, Katelyn Vieira, UMass Lowell
Oct. 19 - Player of the Week: Emily Doherty, Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Nat Reynisdottir, UMass Lowell
Oct. 26 - Player of the Week: Nikki McFarland, Vermont; Rookie of the Week: Julia Carr, Hartford