UNH Wins Academic Cup; AE Student-Athletes Earn Record-Setting GPA
BOSTON – After a year during which America East student-athletes collectively earned a conference-record 3.15 grade-point average, the University of New Hampshire has claimed the league’s 2015-16 Academic Cup. UNH student-athletes earned a 3.23 GPA to pace America East’s nine member institutions, each of which collected better than a 3.0 GPA last year.
The Academic Cup, established by the America East Board of Directors in 1995, is presented to the institution whose student-athletes post the highest grade-point average during that academic year.
Need to Know
- Every America East institution and 75 percent (104-of-139) of its teams averaged better than a 3.0 GPA collectively in 2015-16.
- America East student-athletes averaged a 3.15 GPA overall in 2015-16, the highest single-year mark in league history and the fourth-straight year a new standard has been set.
- It’s the 11th-consecutive year America East student-athletes have averaged better than a 3.0 GPA.
- The Academic Cup is New Hampshire’s second straight and fourth in school history (1998-99, 1999-2000, 2014-15, 2015-16).
- Academic Cup All-Time Winners
2015-16 America East Academic Cup Standings
Rank School GPA
|1. New Hampshire||3.23|
|7. UMass Lowell||3.14|
|8. Stony Brook||3.09|
Sport GPA Champions
Baseball – Hartford (3.25)
Men’s Basketball – UMBC (3.08)
Women’s Basketball – *Maine (3.47)
Men’s Cross Country – Vermont (3.38)
Women’s Cross Country – Vermont (3.64)
Field Hockey – *^Albany (3.55)
Men’s Lacrosse – UMass Lowell (3.34)
Women’s Lacrosse – Binghamton (3.32)
Men’s Soccer – Binghamton (3.27)
Women’s Soccer – New Hampshire (3.51)
Softball – Hartford (3.39)
Women’s Swimming & Diving – ^UMBC (3.37)
Women’s Tennis – Hartford (3.68)
Men’s Indoor Track & Field – New Hampshire (3.23)
Women’s Indoor Track & Field – Vermont (3.56)
Men’s Outdoor Track & Field – Binghamton (3.22)
Women’s Outdoor Track & Field – Vermont (3.49)
Volleyball – Hartford (3.56)
*AE regular-season champion
America East is proud to have one of most comprehensive academic awards programs in the country, which honors over two-thirds of its student-athletes for their success in the classroom. Learn more about the conference's academic awards program.
About America East: The America East provides its member schools and their athletic programs a platform upon which student-athletes can achieve both collegiate and life success through the promotion and nurturing of athletic excellence, academic achievement and leadership, on and off the field.