Lowell's Murphy, Maine's Orach Receive 1st #AEXC Weekly Honors of Season
BOSTON – The first week of the 2016 America East cross country season is in the books. Teams began their campaigns on Sept. 1 and it was UMass Lowell that had the big opening weekend, winning both their men’s and women’s dual meets. Here are the first weekly award winners of the season:
Women’s Performer of the Week
Nicole Murphy, UMass Lowell – So., Distance Runner, Mendon, Mass.
- Murphy won UMass Lowell’s dual meet with Vermont with a time of 17:42 on the 4K course.
- She was nine-seconds ahead of her nearest challenger and in the process and set a new course record, chopping 35 seconds off of the old standard.
Men’s Performer of the Week
Jesse Orach, Maine – Sr., Distance Runner, Gorham, Maine
- Won the 5-mile event against Army with a time of 25:36.30.
- Finished the event 13.9 seconds ahead of the second-place finisher.
- Seven America East programs were ranked in the USTFCCCA preseason poll, including four men's teams and four women's.
- UMBC came in at #9 in the Mid-Atlantic poll while three teams were ranked in the Northeast Poll: #10 Stony Brook, #13 Maine, #15 Binghamton.
- Three women's programs were recognized in the Northeast poll: #9 New Hampshire, #11 Stony Brook, #13 Albany.
Weekly Award Winners
Sept. 7 – Women: Nicole Murphy, UMass Lowell; Men: Jesse Orach, Maine