River Hawks Earn Pair of #AEBASE Week 4 Honors
BOSTON - The UMass Lowell River Hawks went 3-0 last week to improve to 7-6 on the season and earned a pair of honors in America East baseball. Weather wreaked havoc on much of the schedule as teams prepare for conference play to begin on March 18. Stay tuned to the America East on Twitter for the latest schedule updates. Here are the week four award winners:
Player of the Week
Chris Sharpe, UMass Lowell, So., OF, Burlington, Mass.
- Hit .571 (8-for-14) with a 1.214 slugging percentage and a .600 on-base percentage in a 3-0 week.
- Six of his eight hits went for extra bases including four doubles, a triple and a home run.
- Scored six runs and drove in three while adding three steals.
- Went 4-for-6 with three RBIs, a triple, two doubles and a home run in the opening game vs. Manhattan.
- Closed the week with a 3-for-4 performance, including a pair of double and two runs scored in a win against Delaware.
Pitcher of the Week
Jack McClure, Albany, RJr. LHP, Fayetteville, N.Y.
- Tossed five no-hit innings in a win over NYIT.
- Surrendered just one walk while striking out five.
Rookie of the Week
John Polichetti, UMass Lowell, Fr., IF, Atkinson, N.H.
- Hit .455 (5-for-11) with a .545 slugging percentage and a .500 on-base percentage in a 3-0 week.
- Had at least one hit in each of the three games.
- Went 2-for-4 with a double to open the week vs. Manhattan.
- Added two more hits along with an RBI in game two vs. Manhattan.
- Closed the weekend with a hit and a run scored in a win at Delaware.
Weekly Award Winners
Feb. 21 - Player of the Week: Russ Olive, UMass Lowell; Pitcher of the Week: Nick Silva, Maine; Rookie of the Week: Michael Wilson, Stony Brook
Feb. 28 - Player of the Week: Justin Yurchak, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Nick Silva, Maine; Rookie of the Week: Austin Young, UMass Lowell
March 6 - Player of the Week: Paul Rufo, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Jacob Christian, UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Mac Wangenstein, Albany
March 13 - Player of the Week: Chris Sharpe, UMass Lowell; Pitcher of the Week: Jack McClure, Albany; Rookie of the Week: John Polichetti, UMass Lowell