Vermont's Benwood Leads Week 3 #AEFH Award Winners; 3 Teams Remain Ranked
BOSTON - Three weeks into the 2016 field hockey season, America East continues to be one of just three conferences (ACC, Big Ten) with at least three teams ranked in the NFHCA national poll. Reigning league champion Albany is #17, while Stanford is #19 and Maine is #20. Here are the week three award winners:
Player of the Week
Casey Crowley, Maine - So., Midfielder, New Plymouth, New Zealand
- Had seven points on three goals and an assist in Maine's 6-0 win over UC Davis Sunday.
- The seven points are the most by an America East player in a game this year.
- Third-straight Black Bear to earn Player of the Week honors.
Defensive Player of the Week
Lena Benwood, Vermont - Jr., Goalkeeper, North Grafton, Mass.
- Allowed just one goal while making six saves in Vermont's 2-1 win over Quinnipiac last week.
- Helped Vermont improve to 4-1, its best five-game start to a season since going 5-0 in 2007.
Rookie of the Week
Marguerite van Wyk, Pacific - So., Forward, Pretoria, South Africa
- Tallied a career-high five points in a win over Bryant Saturday.
- Scored a pair of goals, including the game winner, and added an assist.
Weekly Award Winners
Aug. 30 - Player of the Week: Libby Riedl, Maine; Defensive Player of the Week: Maxi Primus, Albany; Rookie of the Week: Brianna Ricker, Maine
Sept. 6 - Player of the Week: Madison Cummings, Maine; Defensive Player of the Week: Kelsey, Rudert, New Hampshire; Rookie of the Week: Jessica Welch, Stanford
Sept. 13 - Player of the Week: Casey Crowley, Maine; Defensive Player of the Week: Lena Benwood, Vermont; Rookie of the Week: Marguerite van Wyk, Pacific
- #3Pillars – Building the Complete Student-Athlete -