Boston U., Maine, UNH Win America East Openers
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Boston University and University of New Hampshire started conference play with one-goal wins on Friday while Maine got off to a 1-0 start by beating Vermont on Saturday.
Saturday, September 29
#24 Maine 3, at Vermont 1 – Box Score | Recap | Highlights
• Cassidy Svetek tallied a pair of second half goals, her sixth and seventh of the season, as Maine rallied with three unanswered scores to beat Vermont and move to 1-0 in conference play.
• Reigning America East Player of the Week Annabelle Hamilton tied the game 1-1 in the 30th minute and Svetek scored in the 49th and 61st minutes to secure the win, Maine's sixth in its last seven games and sixth straight over Vermont.
• The Black Bears shot the Catamounts 22-8 but only beat Stephanie Zygmunt three times as she made 10 saves.
• Vermont took a 1-0 lead in the 12th minute on Alana Izzo's third goal of the season.
Friday, September 28
#12 Boston U. 2, at #23 Albany 1 -- Box Score | Recap | Highlights
• Tabi Hatch scored twice in the game's final 8:37 to deliver Boston U. (7-3, 1-0 AE) its sixth road win of the season.
• Hatch's first score came off a feed from Macey Gaumond in the 62nd minute and she added the game winner just 3:53 later off a pass from Leslie Zules.
• Albany (4-6, 0-1 AE) outshot Boston U. 13-7 but Terrier goaltenders Valentina Cerda and Jess Maroney combined to make 11 saves.
• Daphne Voormolen gave the Great Danes a 1-0 lead in the 58th minute with her fourth goal of the season.
#15 New Hampshire 3, at Fairfield 2 (2OT) -- Box Score | Recap
• Hannah Richard scored twice, including the game winner in double-overtime, to give UNH (5-4, 1-0 AE) its fourth win in its last five games.
• Richard's game winner came when Fairfield (6-5, 0-1 AE) was a player down due to a green card and was off a rebound at the 95:12 mark off Casey Pohlmeyer's shot.
• Fairfield (6-5, 0-1 AE) forced overtime when Casey Starsinic scored off a penalty corner with just 1:11 left in regulation.
• UNH, which outshot Fairfield 35-15, has won all six matches against the Stags since theyjoined America East as an associate member in 2007.