Men's Soccer League Play Begins With Three One-Goal Games & a Tie
In a sign of what's to come this season, all four America East men's soccer games were close as conference play started Saturday. Each game was decided by one goal or less.
Saturday, September 29
at Binghamton 2, New Hampshire 1 -- Box Score | Recap
• Jake Keegan scored his league-leading ninth goal of the season 6:14 into overtime to give Binghamton (5-5-0, 1-0-0 AE) a 2-1 win over New Hampshire (4-4-2, 0-1-0 AE).
• Keegan, whose 21 points rank among the tops in the nation, one-timed a pass from Robbie Hughes into the back of the net to give the Bearcats their third win in their last four games.
• After Adam Whithead had given Binghamton a 1-0 lead on a penalty kick in the eight minute, UNH's Robbie Palumbo evened the score in the 26th minute on a blast from 18 yards out.
• Bearcat goalkeeper Stefano Frantellizzi made four saves to earn his third career win.
Hartford 1, at Boston University 1 (2OT) -- Box Score | Recap
• Boston U. (2-5-3, 0-0-1 AE) outshot Hartford (6-4-1, 0-0-1 AE) 35-11 but each team found the back of the net once and played to a 1-1 tie in their America East openers.
• The Hawks, who are unbeaten in five of their last six games, grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 39th minute when Anthony Santaga tapped home a shot off a free kick for his fifth goal of the year.
• The Terriers tied the game in the 61st minute on Michael Bustamante's blast from 10 yards out.
• Boston U. outshot Hartford 25-5 after halftime but the Hawks' Viltsu Tuumi made six of his nine saves in the game's final 65 minutes to preserve a point for his team.
Stony Brook 1, at Albany 0 -- Box Score | Recap
• Leonardo Fernandes scored a goal for the fifth straight game to lead Stony Brook (7-2-1, 1-0-0 AE) to a 1-0 win over Albany (2-8-0, 0-1-0 AE) in both teams' America East opener.
• The Seawolves, who are ranked ninth in the latest NSCAA/Continental Tire Northeast Region Poll, are unbeaten in their last six games (5-0-1).
• Fernandes, who has 18 points on seven goals and four assists this season, scored the game's lone goal in the 30th minute as he rocketed a free kick from 20 yards out into the top left-hand corner of the net.
• Stony Brook outshot Albany 12-2 and held the Great Danes without an attempt on goal. Tim Allen kept them close by making four saves.
Vermont 2, at UMBC 1 -- Box Score | Recap
• Vermont (4-3-3, 1-0-0 AE) stunned UMBC (4-3-2, 0-1-0 AE) by scoring twice in a 73 second span as the game winded down to win its America East opener.
• The Catamounts are unbeaten in their last six games (3-0-3).
• Charlie Defeo scored his first career goal off a header in the 83rd minute to tie the game 1-1 and Joe Losier gave UVM the lead on a penalty kick just 73 seconds later.
• Liam Paddock gave UMBC a 1-0 lead in the 61st minute, sending home a rebound off Pete Caringi's shot.
• UMBC outshot UVM 17-6, but Conor Leland, the conference leader with an .875 save percentage, made eight stops for the Catamounts.