CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Week two of America East play in field hockey begins Friday when Albany heads to New Hampshire in a rematch of last year's conference championship semifinal. The other two games take place Saturday with Vermont hosting Boston U. and Maine entertaining Fairfield.
Friday, October 5
#22 Albany at #19 New Hampshire, 3 p.m. -- Live Stats | Live Video
• The last two America East champions (Albany, 2010; UNH, 2011) meet in a game that very well could implicate conference championship seeding down the line.
• Both teams have faced brutal schedules this season. Albany (5-6, 0-1 AE) has already faced six ranked opponents this season, while UNH (5-5, 1-0 AE) has faced five.
• Albany-UNH split last year's meetings with the Great Danes winning the regular-season matchup, 3-2, and Wildcats winning, 1-0, in the America East semfinals. The series has been virtually even over the past decade with Albany holding a slim 8-7 edge.
• The game features six of the top 10 point scorers in the conference. UNH's Hannah Richard ranks second in both points (24) and goals (10), Albany's Daphne Voormolen and Jessica Longstreth and UNH's Meg Flatley are tied for fifth with 13 points, while the Wildcats' Kellie Joyce (12 pts) is eighth and Megan Bozek (11) is ninth.
• Albany is coming off a 3-1 win over #25 Louisville on Sept. 30, while New Hampshire nearly dealt #5 UConn its first loss before falling 3-2 in overtime.
Saturday, October 6
#12 Boston U. at Vermont, 12 p.m. – Live Video
• Boston U. (7-4, 1-0 AE) goes for its 31st win in 34 all-time meetings with Vermont (1-9, 0-1 AE) when the two teams meet in Burlington Saturday.
• The Terriers won last year's meeting, 1-0, on Nicole van Oosterom's goal 8:33 into the contest.
• Boston U. leads America East allowing 1.49 goals per game.
• Jacinda McLeod leads Boston U. with 10 points on five goals while Alana Izzo paces Vermont
• Vermont goalkeeper Stephanie Zygmunt leads the conference and ranks in the top 10 nationally averaging 8.8 saves per game.
Fairfield at Maine, 1 p.m. – Live Stats | Live Video
• Maine (7-5, 1-0 AE) comes in winner of six of its last seven, while Fairfield (7-6, 0-1 AE) snapped a three-game losing skid with an 8-0 trouncing of Siena on Wednesday.
• The Stags and Black Bears are two of the highest scoring teams in the league with Fairfield ranking second scoring 2.60 goals per game and Maine third scoring 2.47 gpg.
• Fairfield's Felicitas Heinen ranks among the nation's top scorers and leads America East in points (30) and goals (13).
• Annabelle Hamilton and Cassidy Svetek are Maine's top scoring duo.
The pair has combined for 15 goals through 11 games, 54 percent of the
Black Bears' total.
• Maine won last year's meeting, 6-1, behind two goals and two assists from Holly Stewart.