UNH Shocks Albany Friday; Two More Field Hockey League Games Saturday
Week two of America East play in field hockey got off to a tremendous start with a battle of ranked teams in Durham Friday that resulted in an overtime thriller. The other two games take place Saturday with Vermont hosting Boston U. and Maine entertaining Fairfield.
Friday, October 5
at #19 New Hampshire 2, #22 Albany 1 -- Box Score | Recap | Highlights
• Albany (5-7, 0-2 AE) dominated play for much of the game, but New Hampshire (6-5, 2-0 AE) scored twice in the game's final 6:49 to improve to 2-0 in America East play.
• Casey Pohlmeyer tied the game 1-1 with just 20 seconds left off a penalty corner and Meg Flately found the back of the open cage off a feed from Megan Bozek 6:29 into overtime to give UNH back-to-back wins over Albany for the first time since 2003.
• The Great Danes outshot the Wildcats, 12-6, but UNH's Carlie Tarbell kept her team in the game by making seven saves.
• Echo Bretz scored her second goal of the year to give Albany a 1-0 lead one minute into the second half.
Saturday October 6
#12 Boston U. at Vermont, 12 p.m. – Live Video
• Boston U. (7-4, 1-0 AE) goes for its 31st win in 34 all-time meetings with Vermont (1-9, 0-1 AE) when the two teams meet in Burlington Saturday.
• The Terriers won last year's meeting, 1-0, on Nicole van Oosterom's goal 8:33 into the contest.
• Boston U. leads America East allowing 1.49 goals per game.
• Jacinda McLeod leads Boston U. with 10 points on five goals while Alana Izzo paces Vermont
• Vermont goalkeeper Stephanie Zygmunt leads the conference and ranks in the top 10 nationally averaging 8.8 saves per game.
Fairfield at Maine, 1 p.m. – Live Stats | Live Video
• Maine (7-5, 1-0 AE) comes in winner of six of its last seven, while Fairfield (7-6, 0-1 AE) snapped a three-game losing skid with an 8-0 trouncing of Siena on Wednesday.
• The Stags and Black Bears are two of the highest scoring teams in the league with Fairfield ranking second scoring 2.60 goals per game and Maine third scoring 2.47 gpg.
• Fairfield's Felicitas Heinen ranks among the nation's top scorers and leads America East in points (30) and goals (13).
• Annabelle Hamilton and Cassidy Svetek are Maine's top scoring duo. The pair has combined for 15 goals through 11 games, 54 percent of the Black Bears' total.
• Maine won last year's meeting, 6-1, behind two goals and two assists from Holly Stewart.