Final Week of Men's Soccer Regular Season Begins with 4 Key Games Wednesday
With just one week to go in the men's soccer regular season, the America East standings could not be much tighter. Just seven points separate all eight teams with just three points between the fourth and eighth-place squads. Vermont became the first team to clinch a spot in the America East Championship Saturday and several more teams can do so today.
Wednesday, October 24
• Boston U. (5-7-4, 2-1-2 AE, 8 pts.) hosts Binghamton at Nickerson Field, where it is 3-2-2 this season. Conversley, the Bearcats are 5-1-0 on the road.
• The Terriers snapped a three-game winless skid with a 2-0 win over Albany on Saturday. Parker Powell and Mac McGuire each scored goals.
• The Bearcats are trying to snap a three-game losing streak and can clinch an America East Championship bid with a win and a loss by Hartford or New Hampshire.
• Binghamton's Jake Keegan is tied for the league lead with nine goals while Boston U.'s Powell is tied for seventh.
• Both Hartford (7-7-1, 1-3-1 AE, 4 pts.) and UMBC
(8-4-4, 2-2-1 AE, 7 pts.) are coming off huge wins Saturday. The Hawks picked up their first conference win of the season with a 1-0 victory over Binghamton, while the Retrievers knocked off Stony Brook, 2-1, on the road.
• The contest will feature two of the top offenses in America East. UMBC ranks second (1.50 gpg) and Hartford is third (1.40 gpg).
• UMBC, winner of three straight, can clinch an America East tournament spot for the fourth-straight year with a win.
• Pete Caringi has risen to the top of America East leaders in points (22) and goals (9) with five goals and two assists in his last four games.
Brook (9-4-1, 3-2-0, 9
pts.) and New Hampshire (5-5-4, 1-2-2 AE, 5 pts.) both look to clinch championship bids Wednesday.
• The Seawolves fell, 2-1, to UMBC their last time out, while the Wildcats tied Vermont, 0-0.
• SBU can secure a bid with a win or tie of its own or a Hartford win or tie. UNH needs a win and a Hartford loss.
• The Seawolves and Wildcats rank third and fourth, respectively, in goals against average. SBU is third (1.05 GAA) and UNH is fourth (1.22 GAA)
Vermont at Albany, 7:30 p.m. -- Live Stats
• Vermont (6-4-5,
3-0-2 AE, 11 pts.) and Albany (5-10, 2-3-0 AE, 6 pts.) meet in a key matchup Saturday. The Catamounts have lost just once in their last 11 games while the Great Danes have dropped only one in their last four.
• UVM is the lone America East team to clinch a bid to the championship and can earn a quarterfinal-round bye with a win. The Cats can also clinch the regular-season title with a win and a Stony Brook loss or tie.
• Albany can clinch a tournament bid with a win and losses by UNH or Hartford.