Three America East men's soccer teams secured bids to the America East Championship Wednesday as Stony Brook and UMBC did so via wins while Binghamton earned its spot with Albany losing to Vermont. Albany, Hartford and UNH will decide the final two berths on Saturday.
Wednesday, October 24
at Boston University 1, Binghamton 0 -- Box Score | Recap | Highlights
• Mac MacGuire came off the bench to score his fifth goal of the year, which came in the 27th minute, to give Boston U. (6-7-4, 3-1-2 AE, 11 pts.) a 1-0 win over Binghamton (6-9-0, 2-4-0, 6 pts.) Wednesday.
• Nick Thomson made five saves to record his second-straight shutout and fourth overall.
• The Terriers have won back-to-back games after going winless over their previous three while the Bearcats have lost four in a row.
• Despite the loss, Binghamton clinched an America East Championship berth after missing the tournament for the first time since 2002 last year.
at UMBC 7, Hartford 1 -- Box Score | Recap | Highlights
(9-4-4, 3-2-1 AE, 10 pts.) got a school-record tying four goals from Pete Caringi III to beat Hartford (7-8-1, 1-4-1 AE, 4 pts.), 7-1, Wednesday for its fourth straight win.
• The seven goals were the most for UMBC since it scored as many in a win over St. Francis (Pa.) in 2000.
• Caringi's four goals were the most by an America East player since Stony Brook's Chris Megaloudis had four on Sept. 11, 2005 and most in a conference game in nine years (Vermont's Matt Chavez vs. Boston U., Oct. 3, 2003).
• The win secures UMBC a spot in the America East Championship for the fourth straight year.
at Stony Brook 2, New Hampshire 0 -- Box Score | Recap | Highlights
Stony Brook, N.Y.
• Two late second-half goals by Raphael Abreu gave Stony
Brook (10-4-1, 4-2-0, 12
pts.) the win over New Hampshire (5-6-4, 1-3-2 AE, 5 pts.) Wednesday.
• The win locked up a spot in the conference championship for the Seawolves for the fourth-straight season.
• With the game scoreless, Abreu scored twice in the final 5:07, first flicking in a Will Casey feed in the 85th minute, then sending home a rebound 2:36 later.
• Stefan Manz made three saves to pick up his fourth shutout of the year.
Vermont 1, at Albany 0 -- Box Score | Recap | Highlights
• D.J. Edler scored his team-leading sixth goal of the season in the 28th minute to give Vermont (7-4-5, 4-0-2 AE, 14 pts.) a 1-0 win over Albany (5-11, 2-4-0 AE, 6 pts.) Wednesday.
• The win secured Vermont a quarterfinal-round bye in the America East Championship, its first since 2007.
• Vermont, which has lost just once in its last 12 games (6-1-5), has shut out four straight opponents.
• Conor Leland made three saves to record his fourth-consecutive shutout and league-best sixth of the season.