Four Earn America East Weekly Track & Field Honors
CAMBRIDGE, Mass – Four athletes whose performances have vaulted them into the top 50 nationally in their respective events have earned America East Performer of the Week honors. Tewado Latty of Boston U. is this week’s male Track Performer of the Week while Albany’s Alexander Bowen dons the Field Performer of the Week Honors. On the women’s side, Maine Corey Conner and Vermont’s Nika Ouellette have earned Track Performer of the Week and Field Performer of the Week, respectively.
The America East record holder in the event, Latty (Kingston, Jamaica) had an impressive showing in the 400 meter dash this weekend. At the highly competitive Florida Relays, the senior notched a 14th place finish with a time of 47.16 seconds. Not only is this the fastest time in the conference this year, it is ranked 40th in the NCAA, tied with two others.
Bowen (Beacon, N.Y.) continued his impressive year in the high jump at the UConn Dog Fight. The sophomore won his event there, clearing 6’10.75” in the process. This leap would tie Bowen 19 others for 49th in the country, but earlier in the year he cleared 7’3”. That height ties Bowen with two others for the eighth best high jump performance in the country.
Conner (Townsend, Mass.) shattered a school-record that she set just a week ago and improved her national ranking in the process. After winning the 10,000 meters with a time of 34:46.20 last weekend, Conner cruised to a victory in 33:34.13 at the Duke Invitational, easily qualifying herself for the ECAC championships. Conner now has the fastest time in the conference and the 11th fastest time in the country.
Ouellette (Brookline, Mass.) won easily at the Catamount Open, which featured Dartmouth, Plattsburgh State and Williams. The junior javelin specialist had a throw of 147’8” to capture gold in the event. That throw is in the top 60 in the country, but Ouellette is also the owner of the 18th best throw in the country, notching 158’2” earlier in the year.
America East Men’s Outdoor Track & Field News & Notes
- Binghamton was at the Sam Howell Invitational, where John Slaven had a second place finish in the pole vault.
- At the George Davis Invitational, Hartford’s Michael MacLean was fourth in the 800 meters.
- Kelton Cullenberg had a top-three school mark in the 5,000 meters as Maine went to the Duke Invitational.
- UMBC was also at the Duke Invitational, where Hassan Omar won the 10,000 meters.
- Matthew Guarente of New Hampshire won the high jump for the second consecutive week.
- The Stony Brook men had the weekend off and will head to the Brown Invitational this weekend.
- Vermont’s Colby Cunningham claimed the high jump and the long jump at the Catamount Open.
America East Women’s Outdoor Track & Field News & Notes
- Albany’s Kathryn Fanning shattered the school record in the 1,500 meters, claiming the 15th best time in the NCAA Division I East Region.
- Camille Ginyard was third in the pole vault for Binghamton at the Sam Howell Invitational.
- At the Florida Relays, Boston U.’s Nikko Brady had a season best time in the 100 meter hurdles.
- Prisicilla Appiagyei of Hartford was third in the 400 meter dash at the George Davis Invitational.
- UMBC’s Paulette Fogle posted season-best times in the 400 meter dash and 400 meter hurdles at the Duke Invitational.
- Virginia Lavallee swept the women’s hurdles events as New Hampshire took on Maine and Holy Cross.
- Olivia Burne of Stony Brook took fifth in the 1,500 meters at the Colonial Relays hosted by William & Mary.
America East Outdoor Track & Field Performers of the Week
March 26 – Men's Track Performer of the Week: Ethan Clary (Albany); Men's Field Performer of the Week: Alfonso Scannapieco (Albany); Women's Track Performer of the Week: Kathryn Fanning (Albany); Women's Field Performer of the Week: Jesse Labreck (Maine)
April 2 – Men's Track Performer of the Week: Rich Peters (Boston U.); Men's Field Performer of the Week: Reuben Horace (Boston U.); Women's Track Performer of the Week: Katie Matthews (Boston U.); Women's Field Performer of the Week: Nika Ouellette (Vermont)
April 9 – Men's Track Performer of the Week: Tewado Latty (Boston U.); Men's Field Performer of the Week: Alexander Bowen (Albany); Women's Track Performer of the Week: Corey Conner (Maine); Women's Field Performer of the Week: Nika Ouellette (Vermont)