UMBC's Caringi, SBU's Sbarra Earn Weekly Honors
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The 2013 America East men's soccer season kicked off over the weekend with 14 games and all eight teams playing at least once. Two players who led their teams to wins are the conference's first weekly award winners of the year:
Player of the Week
Pete Caringi III, Sr., UMBC
Perry Hall, Md.
- Scored four times in two games to lead UMBC to a 2-0 start.
- Found the back of the net twice each in wins over Seattle U. (3-1) Friday and UNLV (3-1) Sunday.
- Earned MVP honors at the Springhill Suites Arundel Mills BWI Kick-Off Classic.
Rookie of the Week
Favio Sbarra, Fr., Stony Brook
- Scored in his collegiate debut, a 2-0 Stony Brook win over Sacred Heart Friday.
- The tally came in 31st minute off a feed from Jorge Torres, which Sbarra one-timed home.
Around the League
- All eight America East men's soccer teams started their 2013 seasons last weekend and combined to go 6-7-1.
- UMBC (2-0-0), Hartford (1-0-0), Stony Brook (1-0-0) and Vermont (1-0-1) remain unbeaten after opening weekend.
- UMBC posted a pair of 3-1 wins to win the Springhill Suites Arundel Mills BWI Kick-Off Classic. The Retrievers are unbeaten in their last 11 games (8-0-3) dating back to 2012.
- Stony Brook beat Sacred Heart, 2-0 Friday, and is 3-0-1 in its last four season openers.
- Pete Caringi's four scores earned him national recognition as he was named to College Soccer News' and Top Drawer Soccer's national teams of the week.