UNH's Thatcher Captures 1st Volleyball Player of the Week
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Volleyball opened-up around the country on Friday and every America East team was in action at various tournaments throughout the country. Here are the first volleyball weekly honors of the season:
Player of the Week
Morgan Thatcher, Sr., New Hampshire
- Totaled 44 kills and 19 digs to help New Hampshire to a 2-1 record at the Lehigh Classic.
- Named to Lehigh Class All-Tournament team.
- Ranked second in the league in kills per set (3.38) and sixth in hitting percentage (.268).
- Also added seven total blocks, averaging 0.54 per set and 1.46 digs per set.
Rookie of the Week
Michelle Cruz, Fr., Providence
Midland Park, N.J.
- Led all freshmen for the week, averaging 4.45 digs per set in a 1-2 weekend for the Friars.
- Ranked second in the conference with seven service aces and 49 total digs.
- Contributed 20 digs and four aces in Providence’s four-set win over Chicago State.
Setter of the Week
Mallory McIntyre, Sr., UMBC
- Handed out 97 assists at the GW/Nike Invitational for UMBC, helping the Retrievers to a 1-2 record.
- Ranked second in the conference with 9.70 assists per set while also averaging 2.50 digs and leading UMBC to a .139 hitting percentage.
- Dished out 35 assists as UMBC swept Maryland for its first win over the Terps in program history.
Around the League
- Stony Brook head coach Coley Pawlikowksi went 2-1 in her first matches with the Seawolves.
- UMBC defeated Maryland for the first time in program history at the GW/Nike Invitational.
- UMass Lowell hosted the first Division I contest for any team at the school against Manhattan on Friday.