UMBC's Goc Named Volleyball Player of the Week
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Two weeks of volleyball are in the books and America East teams have a pair of impressive wins over the weekend. Stony Brook upended the ACC’s Syracuse, and New Hampshire defeated St. John’s out of the Big East. Here is a look at the week two honors:
Player of the Week
Ali Goc, Sr., UMBC
- Notched three double-doubles in four matches in a 2-2 week for UMBC.
- Led the Retrievers and ranked fifth in the conference with 2.88 kills per set, totaling 49, along with ranking seventh in digs per set at 3.35.
- Had a career-high 18 kills to go with 13 digs in a win over Loyola.
- Hit .579 with 12 kills in a sweep of La Salle.
- Named to Radisson Cross Keys Greyhound Challenge All-Tournament Team
Rookie of the Week
Michelle Cruz, Fr., Providence
Midland Park, N.J.
- Led the conference for the week, averaging 5.54 digs per set (72 total) to help Providence to a 3-1 record.
- Named to Stetson Westin Classic All-Tournament team.
- Led a Providence defense that held opponents to a conference-best .080 hitting percentage.
- Also totaled six service aces, which ranked second in the conference..
Setter of the Week
Jordan Wiesler, So., Providence
Coconut Creek, Fla.
- Handed out 123 assists in a 3-1 week for the Friars, averaging a conference-best 9.46 per set.
- Helped lead the Providence offense to a conference-high .199 hitting percentage for the week.
- Also averaged 2.54 digs per set, which ranked 15th in the conference and third among setters for the week.
- Notched a double-double with 40 assists and 15 digs against Stetson. Had 30 assists in wins over Quinnipiac and Bethune-Cookman.
Around the League
- Stony Brook defeated Syracuse in five sets, giving the Seawolves their first victory over a power-conference opponent since 2007 when they topped Baylor.
- New Hampshire topped St. John’s in three sets to give the Wildcats a win over a Big East program.