UMBC's Caringi, UVM's Wright Earn Weekly Honors
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – America East's men's soccer teams continued their strong starts to the 2013 season by going 9-2-3 over the weekend. A pair of players that led their teams to a two of those wins apiece are the conference's weekly award winners for the second week of the season:
Player of the Week
Pete Caringi III, Sr., UMBC
Perry Hall, Md.
- Scored four times in two games for the second-straight week to lead UMBC to two wins.
- Found the back of the net twice each in wins over Central Conn. State (3-1) Thursday and St. Francis Brooklyn (3-1) Saturday.
- Earned MVP honors at the Hampton Inn BWI Kick-Off Classic.
- Named College Soccer News National Player of the Week.
- Has scored eight goals through UMBC's first four games.
Rookie of the Week
Brian Wright, Fr., Vermont
- Led Vermont to two wins over the weekend by tallying three points in victories over Colgate and UMass.
- Scored his first collegiate goal, the lone score of the game, in the Catamounts' 1-0 win over the Red Raiders Friday.
- Set up the game-winning score in a 2-1 victory over UMass on Sunday by assisting on Sal Borea's score.
- Named to All-Tournament team of the Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Windjammer Classic.
Around the League
- America East teams went 9-2-3 last week and are an impressive 15-9-4 through the first two weeks of the season.
- UMBC (4-0-0) won twice last week to extend its unbeaten streak to 13 games dating back to last season (10-0-3).
- The Retrievers rose to 24th in the College Soccer News Top 30 and entered the Top Drawer Soccer Top 25 at #25.
- Vermont (3-0-1) and Hartford (2-0-1) also stayed unbeaten. The Catamounts won twice to capture the Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Windjammer Classic while Hartford tied Villanova and beat Siena.
- UNH, Binghamton and Albany also went unbeaten last week with the Wildcats going 2-0-0 by posting a pair of 1-0 shutouts over Colgate and UMass. The Bearcats were 1-0-0, beating preseason Patriot League favorite American and tying George Mason, which was picked third in the Atlantic 10.
- UMass Lowell beat Canisius, 3-1, on Sunday for its first Division I win and the first for the school in any sport besides men's hockey.
- Pete Caringi's four scores earned him national recognition for the second-straight week as he was named to the College Soccer News Player of the Week. He was also named to CSN's national team of the week.
- Caringi has eight goals through four games and has scored twice in each contest.
2013 America Men's Soccer Weekly Award Winners
Sept. 3 - Player of the Week: Pete Caringi III, UMBC
Rookie of the Week: Favio Sbarra, Stony Brook
9 - Player of the Week: Pete Caringi III, UMBC
Rookie of the Week: Brian Wright, Vermont