UMBC's Schuler, Albany's Lane Garner Weekly Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Five America East teams opened the season at the Pre-Conference meet held at Binghamton on Saturday, September 7, 2013 in preparation for the AE Championship. The championship, which will also be held at Binghamton, is scheduled to take place on Saturday, November 2, 2013.
Maine opened their season at home, while Hartford traveled to the Fordham/Ed Joyce Memorial in NYC. New Hampshire and Stony Brook kicked off their seasons last weekend and took this one off.
Men’s Performer of the Week
Eric Schuler, Jr., UMBC
- Paced a field of 81 with a time of 25:33 to place first at the AE Pre-Conference meet.
- Time was the second fastest men’s 8k time in Binghamton’s 13-year Division I Era, just four seconds behind the course record (25:29).
- The win is Schuler's first of his career and marks the second time that he has led the Retrievers across the line.
- Led the way in UMBC’s first-place finish out of five AE teams.
Around the League
- The men’s Pre-Conference team results were: UMBC 31, Binghamton 37, Vermont 89, Albany 104, UMass Lowell 105.
- All five teams placed runners in the top-10. UMBC placed three and Binghamton four, while Vermont, Albany and UMass Lowell each had one finisher in the top-10.
Women’s Performer of the Week
Brittney Lane, Sr., Albany
- Topped all runners in a field of 56 in the America East Pre-Conference meet with a time of 18:13.
- Time was the second fastest women’s 5k time in Binghamton’s 13-year Division I Era. She missed the course record by nine seconds (18:04).
- Helped Albany finish first out of five AE teams.
Around the League
- Hartford senior Megan Barry placed first with a time of 18:38.88 in the Fordham Fiasco/Ed Joyce Memorial. Barry raced 78 Division I runners on the 5k course to pick up the individual victory. The win was her first individual win since 2011.
- Three teams placed runners in the top-10. Albany placed five, Vermont had four, and UMass Lowell placed one in the women’s race.
- The women’s Pre-Conference team results were: Albany 28, Vermont 31, UMBC 82, Binghamton 114, UMass Lowell 120.
2013 America Men's and Women's Weekly Award Winners
Sept. 10 - Men's Performer of the Week: Eric Schuler, UMBC
Women's Performer of the Week: Brittney Lane, Albany