UMBC's Brown Earns Player of the Week With Pair of Game-Winners
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – UMBC is off to its best start since 1996 after a 2-0-1 week as five America East teams went unbeaten last week in non-conference play. The Retrievers were joined by Stony Brook (1-0), New Hampshire (1-0), Hartford (1-0-1) and Maine (0-0-1). Here is a look at the awards for week four:
Player of the Week
Jessy Brown, Jr., UMBC
- Scored a pair of game-winning goals including her first collegiate goal in a 2-0-1 week for the Retrievers.
- Netted the first goal in a 3-0 victory vs. Howard on Friday night.
- Helped UMBC extend its unbeaten streak to four games, its longest since 2005.
- Headed in a ball in the 85th minute on Sunday to give UMBC a 1-0 win over Bucknell.
- UMBC has its highest win total since 2006 and is off to its best start through eight games since 1996.
Co-Rookie of the Week
Mimi Borkan, Fr., New Hampshire
- Earned first collegiate win in net as she backboned a 2-1 road victory over Harvard.
- Made 11 saves, including stopping a penalty kick en route to the win.
- The 11 saves were the second-highest total for an America East keeper this year.
Co-Rookie of the Week
Jessica Jurg, Fr., Hartford
Annen, The Netherlands
- Recorded back-to-back shutouts in a 1-0-1 week for the Hawks
- Made five saves in a 0-0 double-overtime tie against Holy Cross.
- Stopped four shows in a 1-0 win over American.
- Finished with nine saves without allowing a goal in 200 minutes of action.
Around the League
- Stony Brook overcame a 1-0 deficit on Thursday to comeback and hand Wagner its first loss of the season.
- UMBC is off to its best start since 1996 and has its highest win total since 2006 with a 4-2-2 record.
Aug. 26 – Player of the Week: Stella Norman, So., Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Anna Seneta, Fr., Albany
Sept. 3 – Player of the Week: Stephani Church, So., Binghamton; Rookie of the Week: Maxie New, Fr., Stony Brook
Sept. 9 – Player of the Week: Rebecca Raber, So., Binghamton; Rookie of the Week: Leah Yurko, Fr., Stony Brook
Sept. 16 – Player of the Week: Jessy Brown, Jr., UMBC; Co-Rookies of the Week: Mimi Borkan, Fr., New Hampshire; Jessica Jurg, Fr., Hartford