Witsaman Named Volleyball Player of the Week
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – UMBC continued its hot streak with a perfect 4-0 record last week during the third week of America East volleyball action. The Retrievers have won 17-straight sets and are now 7-4 overall. Here are the week three volleyball awards:
Player of the Week
Emily Witsaman, Sr., UMBC
- Helped UMBC to a perfect 4-0 week, leading the conference in hitting percentage at .549, totaling 34 kills on 51 swings.
- Ranked second in the conference for the week in kills at 3.09 per set, and blocks at 1.18 per set.
- Recorded six kills on seven attempts vs. Towson.
- Had double-digit kills vs. NJIT and Coppin State. Added six block assists vs. Coppin State in a three-set win.
Rookie of the Week
Laini Leindecker, Fr., Albany
New Philadelphia, Ohio.
- Played very consistent for a young Albany team that faced tough competition at North Carolina.
- Totaled 1.78 kills per set which was tops among freshman last week, to go with 3.11 digs per set.
- Had eight kills and nine digs vs. James Madison.
- Notched three kills and a career-high 14 digs vs. George Washington.
Setter of the Week
Mallory McIntyre, Sr., UMBC
- Led the conference with 11.08 assists per set for the week, helping the Retrievers to a perfect 4-0 record.
- Had 30+ assists in each of the four matches, including 37 vs. Coppin St.
- Led the conference with eight service aces for the week.
- McIntyre’s sets helped UMBC lead the league for the week with a .375 hitting percentage.
Around the League
- UMass Lowell senior libero Carolyn Eddy was named to the URI Art Carmichael Invitational All-Tournament Team.
- UMBC has won 17-straight sets and six-straight matches.