Brown Captures Second-Straight Women's Soccer Weekly Honor
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – UMBC continued its hot play last week, improving to 5-2-2 with a win over Wagner, the team’s highest win total since 2005. Vermont was busy with three games, going 1-1-1 in those contests behind 25 saves from goalkeeper Ally Ramos. America East teams play their final non-conference tilts this week before conference play begins on Friday. Here is a look at the awards for week five:
Player of the Week
Jessy Brown, Jr., UMBC
- Scored the game-winning goal with a header in the 83rd minute in a come-from-behind win over Wagner.
- The game-winner was her third of the season, the most for a Retriever since 2005.
- Brown has scored in three-straight games, the first Retriever to accomplish the feat since UMBC joined the America East.
- UMBC has its highest win total since 2006 and is off to its best start through eight games since 1996.
Rookie of the Week
Amanda Dailey, Fr., UMBC
- Ignited the Retrievers come-from-behind win over Wagner by scoring the game-tying goal in the 79th minute.
- The goal was her second of the season as the freshman returned to the field for the first time since Aug. 30 due to injury.
Around the League
- UMBC has its highest win total since 2005, improving to 5-2-2 on the season and extended its unbeaten streak to five.
- Vermont goalkeeper Ally Ramos made 25 saves over three games last week as the Catamounts went 1-1-1. She tied her career high by making 11 saves twice.
Aug. 26 – Player of the Week: Stella Norman, So., Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Anna Seneta, Fr., Albany
Sept. 3 – Player of the Week: Stephani Church, So., Binghamton; Rookie of the Week: Maxie New, Fr., Stony Brook
Sept. 9 – Player of the Week: Rebecca Raber, So., Binghamton; Rookie of the Week: Leah Yurko, Fr., Stony Brook
Sept. 16 – Player of the Week: Jessy Brown, Jr., UMBC; Co-Rookies of the Week: Mimi Borkan, Fr., New Hampshire; Jessica Jurg, Fr., Hartford
Sept. 23 – Players of the Week: Jessy Brown, Jr., UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Amanda Dailey, Fr., UMBC