Rigo Notches Volleyball Player of the Week Honors
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Three America East teams finished with winning records last week as Hartford went 3-1, while UMBC and Stony Brook each went 2-1. UMBC had its eight-match winning streak snapped on the final day of the West Virginia Tournament. Friday begins conference play in the America East with a pair of matches at 7 p.m. Here are the week four volleyball awards:
Player of the Week
Melissa Rigo, So., Stony Brook
East Northport, N.Y.
- Averaged 3.33 kills per set, 3.67 digs per set and recorded a .358 hitting percentage while helping Stony Brook go 2-1 at the Bryant Invitational.
- Named to Bryant Invitational All-Tournament team.
- Only player to rank in the top-10 in the conference last week in kills (2nd), hitting percentage (2nd) and digs (8th).
- Notched double-doubles in all three matches.
- Had 12 kills and 13 digs vs. St. John’s. Followed that with 13 kills and a .542 hitting percentage with no errors vs. Bryant.
- Notched 15 kills and 16 digs with a .306 hitting percentage vs. Princeton.
Rookie of the Week
Casey Griffith, Fr., UMBC
King of Prussia, Pa.
- Led all freshmen and ranked fourth in the conference with 4.17 digs per set in a 2-1 week for UMBC last weekend.
- Had 12+ digs in each of the three matches, including a career-high 26 digs in a five-set win over Georgetown.
- Helped UMBC rank first last week in opponent hitting percentage, holding Liberty, Georgetown and West Virginia to just a .115 hitting percentage.
Setter of the Week
Jackie Tamburri, Jr., Hartford
- Led the conference with 11.62 assists per set in a 3-1 week for the Hawks.
- Had a pair of double-doubles, notching 41 assists and 11 digs at Bryant and 40 assists and 10 digs against NJIT.
- Recorded 30+ assists in all four matches.
- Led Hartford to a conference-best .281 hitting percentage for the week.
- Also averaged 2.54 digs per set which was first among setters for the week.
Around the League
- UMBC had its eight-match winning streak snapped against West Virginia on Sunday.
Sept. 3 – Player of the Week: Morgan Thatcher, Sr., New Hampshire; Rookie of the Week: Michelle Cruz, Fr., Providence; Setter of the Week: Mallory McIntyre, Sr., UMBC
Sept. 9 – Player of the Week: Ali Goc, Sr., UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Michelle Cruz, Fr., Providence; Setter of the Week: Jordan Wiesler, So., Providence
Sept. 16 – Player of the Week: Emily Witsaman, Sr., UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Laini Leindecker, Fr., Albany; Mallory McIntyre, Sr., UMBC
Sept. 23 – Player of the Week: Melissa Rigo, So., Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Casey Griffith, Fr., UMBC; Setter of the Week: Jackie Tamburri, Jr., Hartford