Pair of Wildcats Grab Volleyball Weekly Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The first weekend of America East volleyball action is in the books as Albany, UMBC, New Hampshire and Providence each earned victories to start the 14-match conference schedule. Here is a look at the week five awards:
Player of the Week
Tori Forrest, So., New Hampshire
Powder Springs, Ga.
- Forrest averaged 3.50 kills per set and 3.75 digs per set while hitting .200 to lead New Hampshire to a 2-0 week.
- The sophomore ranked fourth in the conference in kills per set and sixth in digs per set while finishing 14th in hitting percentage.
- Forrest had a pair of double-doubles with 14 kills and 18 digs in a win over Harvard and 14 kills and 12 digs in a win at UMass Lowell.
- Only player to rank in the top-six of both kills and digs last week.
Rookie of the Week
Kayla Fitzgerald, Fr., Providence
- Registered a pair of double-doubles in a 2-0 week for Providence with wins over Bryant and Hartford.
- Led all freshmen in kills and ranked second in the conference at 3.86 per set. Also ranked fifth in the conference with 0.57 aces per set, 13th with 3.43 digs per set and fifth with a .292 hitting percentage.
- Had 16 kills and 17 digs with a .273 hitting percentage in a win over Bryant
- Notched 11 kills and seven digs with two blocks in a win against Hartford.
- Ranked in the top 10 in the conference in kills, hitting percentage, blocks and service aces.
Setter of the Week
Taylor Dunklau, Jr., New Hampshire
- Led the conference with 11.12 assists per set and ranked second in the conference with 0.75 aces per set while leading the Wildcats to a 2-0 week.
- Registered 51 assists and nine digs in a win over Harvard.
- Notched a double-double with 38 assists and 14 digs in a win at UMass Lowell.
- Also averaged 2.88 digs per set while quarterbacking the Wildcat offense to a .191 hitting percentage, which ranked third in the conference.
Around the League
- Albany defeated Binghamton in straight-sets in a rematch of the 2012 America East title match.
- Providence’s win over Hartford was its first in a conference-opener (joined league in 2010).
Sept. 3 – Player of the Week: Morgan Thatcher, Sr., New Hampshire; Rookie of the Week: Michelle Cruz, Fr., Providence; Setter of the Week: Mallory McIntyre, Sr., UMBC
Sept. 9 – Player of the Week: Ali Goc, Sr., UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Michelle Cruz, Fr., Providence; Setter of the Week: Jordan Wiesler, So., Providence
Sept. 16 – Player of the Week: Emily Witsaman, Sr., UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Laini Leindecker, Fr., Albany; Mallory McIntyre, Sr., UMBC
Sept. 23 – Player of the Week: Melissa Rigo, So., Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Casey Griffith, Fr., UMBC; Setter of the Week: Jackie Tamburri, Jr., Hartford
Sept. 30 – Player of the Week: Tori Forrest, So., New Hampshire; Rookie of the Week: Kayla Fitzgerald, Fr., Providence; Setter of the Week: Taylor Dunklau, Jr., New Hampshire