SBU's Casey, Lowell's Fernandes Capture Weekly Honors
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A pair of America East men's soccer player who scored to help their teams to wins over the weekend are this week's conference award winners:
Player of the Week
Will Casey, Sr., Stony Brook
- Scored the lone goal in Stony Brook's 1-0 win over reigning CAA champion Northeastern Saturday.
- Headed home a cross from Martin Giordano in the 68th minute.
- The goal is his second game-winner of the season and team-leading fourth tally overall.
Rookie of the Week
Wuilito Fernandes, R-Fr., UMass Lowell
Praia, Cape Verde
- Scored an insurance goals in UMass Lowell's 2-0 win over Sacred Heart Saturday.
- The goal is his third in his last five games.
Around the League
- America East teams went 6-6-1 last week and are an impressive 35-26-8 (.565) through the first fiver weeks of the season.
- UMBC (9-0-0) registered one-goal wins over George Mason (1-0) and George Washington (2-1, 2OT)
- The Retrievers, one of just two unbeaten untied team in the nation, extended their unbeaten streak to 18 games dating back to last season (15-0-3).
- The Retrievers remained eighth in the Top Drawer Soccer Top 25 and moved up seven spots in the College Soccer News Top 30 Monday. UMBC is also No. 8 in the NSCAA poll, which will come out again on Tuesday.
- Vermont improved to 6-1-1 with a win over Hartwick on Saturday.
- Stony Brook beat reigning CAA champion Northeastern, 1-0, Saturday, its second win in three games.
- UMass Lowell earned its second win of the year Saturday, a 2-0 triumph over Sacred Heart.
2013 America Men's Soccer Weekly Award Winners
Sept. 3 - Player of the Week: Pete Caringi III, UMBC
Rookie of the Week: Favio Sbarra, Stony Brook
9 - Player of the Week: Pete Caringi III, UMBC
Rookie of the Week: Brian Wright, Vermont
16 - Player of the Week: Stephen Ho, UMBC
Rookie of the Week: David MacKinnon, Hartford
23 - Player of the Week: Geaton Caltabiano, UMBC
Rookie of the Week: Bernard Yeboah, Vermont
23 - Player of the Week: Will Casey, Stony Brook
Rookie of the Week: Wuilito Fernandes