UMBC, UNH, SBU, UVM Win League Openers
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - America East play got underway in men's soccer over the weekend and it was as entertaining as expected with three of the four games decided by one goal.
Friday, October 4
at Stony Brook 1, Albany 0 (OT)
- Martin Giordano one-timed home a cross 7:02 into overtime to lift Stony Brook (5-4-0, 1-0-0 AE) to win over Albany (1-7-2, 0-1-0 AE) in the league opener for both teams on Long Island Friday.
- Stony Brook outshot Albany, 11-8.
- The Seawolves have now won three of their last four games overall and their last three league openers.
Saturday, October 5
- Vermont (7-1-3, 1-0-0 AE) scored a pair of second-half goals just 3:38 apart to beat Binghamton (2-7-2, 0-1-0 AE) in both teams' conference opener Saturday in Burlington.
- Jackson Dayton scored first in the 52nd minute while Brian Wright added an insurance tally in the 56th minute.
- Conor Leland made three saves to record his league-best sixth shutout in 11 games.
New Hampshire 1, at UMass Lowell 0
- Jesus Tudela scored the lone goal as UNH (6-3-0, 1-0-0 AE) downed UMass Lowell (2-9-0, 0-1-0 AE) in the two teams' league opener Saturday.
- Tudela tapped home a feed from Steven Palumbo in the 55th minute, which proved to be the difference.
- The River Hawks had more chances, outshooting the Wildcats, 13-8, but Travis Worra made two saves to record his fourth clean sheet of the year.
#7 UMBC 2, at Hartford 1
- #7 UMBC (10-1-0) scored a pair of unanswered goals after falling behind 1-0 to beat Hartford (7-2-2) in the league opener of both squads Saturday.
- Javoni Simms gave Hartford an early lead with a goal in the 16th minute, his fourth of the year.
- Pete Caringi III evened it up before the half ('30) with his league-best 10th score of the year.
- The Retrievers took the lead 3:07 into the second frame when Kadeem Dacres found the back of the net.