UMBC's Quaranta, Vermont's McFarland Earn #AEWSOC Honors
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – After notching undefeated records last week, UMBC and Vermont split the America East women’s soccer weekly honors. After last week’s results Maine remains unbeaten and in first place with a 2-0-1 mark, while Stony Brook and UMBC sit in second with six points. Here are the week seven honors:
Player of the Week
Alexa Quaranta, So., UMBC
- Scored game-winning goals in both of UMBC’s wins over Binghamton and Albany last week, leading the Retrievers to a 2-0-0 record.
- Quaranta gave the Retrievers a 1-0 victory with a goal in double OT at Binghamton, UMBC’s first conference win in over two years.
- The sophomore added the eventual game-winner in Sunday’s 3-1 win against Albany, the Retrievers first home conference win since 2009.
- Quaranta had 10 shots vs. Albany, the most for a Retriever in eight years, and place 10 of her 13 shots on net for the week.
Rookie of the Week
Nikki McFarland, Fr., Vermont
Deer Park, N.Y.
- Scored two goals in a 1-0-1 week for Vermont.
- Found the net in Vermont’s 3-1 win at UMass Lowell on Thursday and then tallied the Catamounts only goal of the game in a 1-1 draw against Maine.
- McFarland leads the team with four goals on the season and has scored three times in the past four games.
Around the League
- UMBC won its first conference game in two years on Friday, and followed that up with its first home conference win since 2009 on Sunday.
- Maine sits atop the standings with seven points and an unbeaten 2-0-1 record through three games. UMBC and Stony Brook are tied with six points.
- New Hampshire remains unbeaten with a win at Hartford and a tie against Albany last week.
Aug. 26 – Player of the Week: Stella Norman, So., Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Anna Seneta, Fr., Albany
Sept. 3 – Player of the Week: Stephani Church, So., Binghamton; Rookie of the Week: Maxie New, Fr., Stony Brook
Sept. 9 – Player of the Week: Rebecca Raber, So., Binghamton; Rookie of the Week: Leah Yurko, Fr., Stony Brook
Sept. 16 – Player of the Week: Jessy Brown, Jr., UMBC; Co-Rookies of the Week: Mimi Borkan, Fr., New Hampshire; Jessica Jurg, Fr., Hartford
Sept. 23 – Player of the Week: Jessy Brown, Jr., UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Amanda Dailey, Fr., UMBC
Sept. 30 - Player of the Week: Natasha Douglas, Sr., Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Mimi Borkan, Fr., New Hampshire
Oct. 7 - Player of the Week: Alexa Quaranta, So., UMBC; Rookie of the Week: Nikki McFarland, Fr., Vermont