Albany, Fairfield Take America East Openers
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The two teams with the best non-conference records among America East field hockey squads kept up their success in their league openers as Albany and Fairfield were victorius Saturday.
Saturday, October 5
#12 Albany 1 at Maine 0
- The Great Danes (10-1, 1-0 AE) scored a pair of first-half goals and held off a charge from the Black Bears (5-5, 1-1 AE) to take their America East opener in Orono Saturday.
- Both of Albany's scores came off penalty corners, the first by Fiori Van Rijswijk in the 13th minute and the second by Paula Heuser in the 31st minute.
- Nicole Sevey got Maine within one just 1:46 after Heuser's score.
- Natasha Ford kept the Black Bears in the game with nine saves as Albany outshot Maine, 22-10.
- Fairfield (9-2, 1-0 AE) tallied four first-half scores en route to a win over Vermont (0-11, 0-1 AE) in the league opener for both teams in Burlington Saturday.
- The win is the sixth in a row for the Stags.
- Hilary Fitts paced Fairfield with two goals and an assist.
- Julie DePaeuw, Felicitas Heinen, Shealyn Testa and Kaitlyn Taddeo also scored.
- Molly Higgins and Colleen Slaughter found the back of the cage for Vermont.