Five 2012-13 All-Leaguers Comprise 2013-14 MBB Preseason Squad
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Five returning All-America East selections from last season form the 2013-14 America East Men’s Basketball Preseason All-Conference Team, which the conference unveiled Tuesday afternoon. The squad was determined in a vote by the league’s head coaches, who were not allowed to vote for their own players.
A pair of 2012-13 first-team all-league selections highlight the team which is made up of two seniors, a junior and two sophomores. Vermont senior Brian Voelkel and Hartford junior Mark Nwakamma are joined by Stony Brook senior Dave Coley, his teammate, sophomore Jameel Warney, and Binghamton sophomore Jordan Reed.
2013-14 Men's Basketball Preseason All-Conference Team
Brian Voelkel, Sr., Forward, 6'6, Vermont
- Preseason all-conference selection for the third time.
- First-team all-conference choice a year ago.
- Ranked second among league leaders in rebounding (8.6 rpg) in 2012-13.
- Is already 12th on America East’s all-time rebound list with 902.
- Ranked second in America East in assists (4.9 apg) and assist-to-turnover ratio (2.2-to-1) in 2012-13.
- Was an All-Defensive choice for the second time in 2012-13.
Mark Nwakamma, Jr., Forward, 6'6, Hartford
- Led Hartford to one of its best seasons at the Division I level last season.
- Earned first-team All-America East accolades.
- Ranked fifth among conference leaders in scoring, pouring in 14.7 points per game.
- Came in 14th in rebounding, grabbing 5.5 boards per game.
- Was even better against league foes, scoring a league-best 16.5 points per game in conference play and shooting 50.2 percent from the field.
Jameel Warney, So., Forward, 6'8, Stony Brook
- 2012-13 America Rookie of the Year.
- Earned second-team All-America East and All-Defensive honors last season.
- Led the league and was fifth in the nation shooting 61.8 percent from the floor.
- One of just two returnees that ranked in the league’s top 10 in both scoring (9th - 12.4 ppg) and rebounding (6th - 7.2 rpg).
- Was also third in blocked shots (1.5 bpg).
Dave Coley, Sr., Guard, 6'2, Stony Brook
- One of two seniors on the preseason all-conference squad
- Earned third-team All-Conference and All-Defensive recognition a year ago.
- Ranked 17th among the league’s scoring leaders, pouring in 11.1 points per game for a team that won 25 games in 2012-13.
- Is just 127 points shy of 1,000 for his career.
- Scored a game-high 20 points in Stony Brook’s win over UMass in the NIT last year.
Jordan Reed, So., Guard, 6'4, Binghamton
- Earned third-team All-America East honors as a freshman.
- Became just the second freshman to ever lead the league in rebounding, pulling down 9.5 caroms per game, which ranked third nationally among guards and 27th overall.
- Also ranked second among league leaders in scoring (16.6 ppg).
- Had a league-best 13 double-doubles, the most of any guard in the nation.
The America East men’s basketball preseason poll will be announced on Wednesday, October 16 exclusively on Twitter unveiling with one team every five minutes starting at 1 p.m. ET.