Maine Men's Basketball Team Capsule
Each weekday through Oct. 29, an America East men's basketball team will be profiled on AmericaEast.com with a team capsule, head coach interview and info graphics.
Head Coach: Ted Woodward
Year at School: 10th
2012-13 Record: 11-19, 6-10 AE
Finish: 6th (No. 5 seed, 0-1)
Letterwinners Returning/Lost: 5/5
Starters Returning/Lost: 2/3
Top Returnees: Xavier Pollard, Jr., 9.7 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 4.3 apg in 12-13
Zarko Valjarevic, Jr., 8.4 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 48 3-pointers in 12-13
- Maine will try to improve on an 11-19 season in 2013-14.
- Ted Woodward is entering his 10th season as Maine's head coach and is the second-longest tenured coach in the league (Will Brown).
- The Black Bears were third in the conference last year, averaging 66.3 points per game but were also eighth in scoring defense, allowing 69.7 points per game.
- Maine is 32-32 in conference play the last four years, one of just three active members (Stony Brook, Vermont) to be at the .500 mark in that span.
- The Black Bears nearly reached the America East semifinals for the first time since 2005 last season, but dropped a heartbreaking 50-49 loss to Albany in quarterfinal round.
- Junior Xavier Pollard is the team's top returning scorer after averaging 9.7 points per game last season.
- Junior Zarko Valjarevic is also back for Maine. He sank 48 three pointers a year ago and averaged 8.4 points per game.
- He also ranked fourth among league leaders averaging 4.3 assists per game and was fifth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.5-to-1).
- Maine will have to replace a pair of all-conference selections in America East's reigning scoring champion, Justin Edwards, who transferred to Kansas State, and Alasdair Fraser, who is pursuing professional endeavors oversees.
- The Black Bears will have a new primary home in 2013-14, playing the majority of their games at the new Cross Insurance Center in downtown Bangor.
- Maine opens its season with Fisher on Nov. 10.