UMBC Men's Basketball Team Capsule
Each weekday through Oct. 29, an America East men's basketball team will be profiled on AmericaEast.com with a team capsule, head coach interview and info graphics.
Head Coach: Aki Thomas
Year at School: 2nd
2012-13 Record: 8-23, 5-11 AE
Finish: T-7th (No. 6 seed, 0-1)
Letterwinners Returning/Lost: 7/7
Starters Returning/Lost: 3/2
Top Returnees: Chase Plummer, Sr., 11.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg in 12-13
Brett Roseboro, Sr., 9.9 ppg, 6.3 rpg in 12-13
- UMBC was picked sixth by America East's head coaches after winning eight games a year ago, its most since the 2008-09 season.
- The Retrievers upset Hartford in the quarterfinals of the America East Championship to reach the semifinal round for the first time since the 2008-09 campaign.
- Aki Thomas begins his second season as UMBC's head coach after serving the majority of last season as acting head coach.
- Thomas was named the Retrievers' full-time head coach on March 4, 2013.
- UMBC ranked fifth in America East last season, averaging 63.5 points per game, but will need to improve on the defensive end after surrendering a league-worst 71.5 points per contest.
- Senior Chase Plummer headlines seven returning letterwinners and three starters after averaging 11.8 points and 6.4 rebounds a year ago, good for 11th and seventh in America East, respectively.
- Plummer is the conference's active leading scorer and lone 1,000-point scorer at the moment (1,013 career points).
- Senior big man Brett Roseboro (9.9 ppg, 6.3 rpg) will be an important piece for the Retrievers as he returns after missing the final 12 games of the season last year.
- Roseboro should help sure up the paint after UMBC allowed foes to shoot 53.4 percent on two-point field goals last season.
- The Retrievers were second-best in the league in limiting foes to a 30.7 percent clip from three-point land.
- UMBC begins its season at Arizona State on Nov. 8.