Maine Takes Possession of First Place Thursday
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Just one day remains in the women's soccer regular-season and there is still a lot left to be determined for the 2013 America East Championship. Maine moved into sole possession of first place with a win over Albany and controls its own destiny in search for a regular-season title. The top-four seeds are locked-in with Maine, Stony Brook, Hartford and UMBC. Each of those schools will host at-least one playoff game. Here is a look at the conference standings:
Maine – 5-1-1 – 16 pts
UMBC – 5-2-0 – 15 pts
Stony Brook – 5-2-0 – 15 pts
Hartford – 5-3-0 – 15 pts
Binghamton – 3-3-1 – 10 pts
New Hampshire – 2-2-3 – 9 pts
Vermont – 2-3-2 – 8 pts
UMass Lowell - 1-6-0 - 3 pts
Albany - 0-6-1 - 1 pts
Vermont at Binghamton – 1 pm
New Hampshire at UMBC – 1 pm
Stony Brook at Maine – 1 pm
UMass Lowell at Albany – 1 pm
Recap Thursday's games:
Binghamton 4 at UMass Lowell 0
- Binghamton moved into fifth-place in the conference standings with a 4-0 win over UMass Lowell.
- The Bearcats scored twice in the first half and then two more times in the second with goals coming from four different players.
- Katie Corcoran started the scoring just 2:29 into the match, finishing a shot from outside the 18 off a pass from Conor O'Brien.
- Rebecca Raber, O'Brien and Leighann Bennett also scored in the game.
- Binghamton faces Vermont in a very important game Sunday that could determine who is in and who is out of the America East Championship.
at Stony Brook 3, New Hampshire 1
- Stony Brook scored three-straight goals after going down 1-0 to come away with a 3-1 win and clinch a top-four seed in the America East Championship.
- After a scoreless first half, Kirsten O'Neil broke through for the Wildcats in the 56th minute.
- Stony Brook responded less than two minutes later, tying the game on a strike by Leah Yurko.
- Larissa Nysch tallied her league-leading 10th goal of the season, heading in a ball off a corner by Stella Norman to put the Seawolves up 2-1 in the 79th minute.
- Yurko added her second of the game in the 83rd minute.
- Stony Brook can be the No. 1 seed with a win and a loss or a tie by UMBC.
- New Hampshire needs a win OR a loss by Vermont to clinch a spot in the championship.
Maine 2 at Albany 1
- Maine took sole possession of first place with a 2-1 win over Albany.
- The Black Bears control their own destiny and have a chance to win the regular-season title outright with a win or a tie and a loss or tie by UMBC.
- All three goals in the match came in the first nine minutes.
- Maggie Malone started the scoring for the Black Bears, scoring just 2:01 into the game.
- Albany came back to tie the match as Kari Quinn found the net in the ninth minute.
- As quickly as Albany tied the game, Maine reclaimed the lead just 31 seconds after that when Charlene Achille finished a cross by Eve L'Abbe.
at UMBC 2, Hartford 1
- UMBC scored two goals in the final 3:30 to grab a 2-1 win over Hartford.
- All three goals in the game were scored in the final eight minutes.
- Chanel Johnson scored her ninth goal of the year and found the back of the net for the fifth-straight game to give Hartford a 1-0 lead in the 83rd minute.
- UMBC tied the game on a header by Jessy Brown off a corner kick in the 87th minute.
- Amanda Dailey scored the game-winner with exactly one minute remaining in the contest.
- The win guaranteed a home game for the Retrievers in the America East Championship.
- Hartford will be either the third or fourth seed and will host a quarterfinal game on Thurs., Oct, 31 at 6 pm