Vermont Men's Basketball Team Capsule
Each weekday through Oct. 29, an America East men's basketball team will be profiled on AmericaEast.com with a team capsule, head coach interview and info graphics.
Head Coach: John Becker
Year at School: 3rd
2012-13 Record: 21-12, 11-5 AE
Finish: 1st (No. 2 seed, 2-1)
Postseason: CBI 1st Round
Letterwinners Returning/Lost: 9/2
Starters Returning/Lost: 5/0
Top Returnees: Brian Voelkel, Sr., 6.0 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 4.9 apg in 12-13
Clancy Rugg, Jr., 11.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg in 12-13
- After making its eighth America East Championship game and postseason appearance in the last 11 years, Vermont is the league's preseason favorite according the league's head coaches.
- The Catamounts recorded their 10th 20-win season in their last 12 last season after having zero 20-win campiagns in their first 87 seasons.
- John Becker begins his third season at Vermont after compiling a 45-24record in his first two years.
- Becker became just the fifth America East coach to reach the league title game in his first two seasons as a head coach.
- The Catamounts were led by their defense a year ago, holding foes to just 59.2 points per game, which ranked 28th nationally.
- Vermont returns nine letterwinners, including its top five scorers and all five starters from last year's squad.
- Senior forward Brian Voelkel, a preseason all-conference selection, earned first-team All-America East and All-Defensive honors after ranking second in rebounds (8.6 rpg) and assists (4.9 apg).
- Offensively, the Catamounts will rely on senior Clancy Rugg (11.7 ppg in 12-13), a second-team all-leaguer last year, and senior Luke Apfeld (10.7 ppg).
- UVM opens play vs. St. Joseph’s on Nov. 9.