Stony Brook Men's Basketball Team Capsule
Each weekday through Oct. 29, an America East men's basketball team will be profiled on AmericaEast.com with a team capsule, head coach interview and info graphics.
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell
Year at School: 9th
2012-13 Record: 25-8, 14-2 AE
Finish: 1st (No. 1 seed, 1-1)
Postseason: NIT 2nd Round
Letterwinners Returning/Lost: 8/4
Starters Returning/Lost: 4/1
Top Returnees: Jameel Warney, So., 12.4 ppg, 7.2 rpg, .618 FG% in 12-13
Dave Coley, Sr., 11.1 ppg, 4.2 rpg in 12-13
- Winner of three of the last four America East regular-season titles, Stony Brook was picked second by the league's head coaches and seeks its first conference title in 2013-14.
- The Seawolves reached the second round of the NIT via a first round win over UMass last year, the conference's first NIT victory since 1987.
- Steve Pikiell enters his ninth year at Stony Brook and has won America East Coach of the Year honors three of the last four years.
- Pikiell's Seawolves are 100-59 (.629) over the last five seasons.
- Stony Brook will look to continue its dominance on the defensive end of the floor this season after ranking sixth nationally in field goal percentage defense (.378) and 13th in scoring defense (57.5 papg) last year.
- Leading SBU's eight returning letterwinners are a pair of preseason all-conference selections Jameel Warney, the reigning America East Rookie of the Year, and senior Dave Coley, a third-team All-Conference choice last year.
- Warney earned second-team All-America East and All-Defensive honors last season.
- He led the league and was fifth in the nation shooting 61.8 percent from the floor.
- Warney is one of just two returnees that ranked in the league’s top 10 in both scoring (9th - 12.4 ppg) and rebounding (6th - 7.2 rpg).
- Stony Brook opens its season Nov. 8 against Marist.