Three Teams Clinch #AEMSOC Tourney Bids Saturday
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - America East men's soccer teams played their second-to-last leagues games Saturday and three teams clinched conference tournament berths. UNH, Hartford and Vermont joined UMBC in the tournament field after posting wins.
Saturday, November 4
UMBC 2, at UMass Lowell 0
- Seventh-ranked UMBC (13-1-2, 4-0-2, 14 pts AE) rode a pair of first-half goals to a 2-0 win over UMass Lowell (2-13-1, 1-4-1, 4 pts AE) Saturday.
- The win gives the Retrievers a bye to the semifinal round of the America East Championship and guarantees them no worse than the No. 2 seed.
- Michael Scott ('23) and Marquez Fernandez ('35) scored for UMBC while Phil Saunders made four saves to record the shutout.
at New Hampshire 2, Binghamton 0
- A pair of goals just 3:58 apart lifted New Hampshire (11-5-0, 4-2-0, 12 pts AE) to a 2-0 win over Binghamton (3-9-5, 1-2-3, 6 pts AE) Saturday.
- The win clinched an America East Championship bid for the Wildcats, their seventh in eight years.
- Gunnar Ericsson ('13) and Lukas Goerigk ('17) scored for UNH while Giovani Riello made three saves to record the shutout.
Vermont 1, at Stony Brook 0 (OT)
- Scott Kisling's goal 1:52 into overtime gave Vermont (9-3-4, 3-2-1, 10 pts AE) a 1-0 win over Stony Brook (6-9-1, 1-4-1, 6 pts AE) Saturday.
- Beau Johnson headed a free kick by Brian Wright to Kisling, who found the back of the net.
- Conor Leland made two stops to record the shutout.
- The win gives UVM its ninth tournament bid in 10 seasons.
Hartford 1, at Albany 0
- Damion Lowe's early goal proved to be the difference as Hartford (10-3-3, 3-2-1, 10 pts AE) beat Albany (4-10-4, 2-3-1, 7 pts AE) Saturday.
- The Hawks secured an America East Championship berth with the win after missing last year's tournament.
- Lowe volleyed David Bernhardsson's corner kick into the net just 1:49 into the contest and the Hawks made it hold up.