Richards, Tarbert Take Home WBB Weekly Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Every America East team has opened the season through two weeks of women’s basketball action, and both Albany and Maine are unbeaten. The Great Danes had an impressive win over Marist, the No. 3 ranked mid-major team in the country, and Maine opened 2-0 for the first time under head coach Richard Barron last week. Here are the week two award winners:
Player of the Week
Shereesha Richards, So., Albany
- Led Albany to a win over Marist, the No. 3 ranked mid-major team in the country and was receiving votes in both the AP and USA Today National Polls.
- Recorded career highs with 28 points and 15 rebounds for her second double-double of the season.
- Was very efficient, hitting 10-of-12 from the field and 8-of-10 from the free throw line.
Rookie of the Week
Sara Tarbert, Fr., UMBC
- Averaged 20.3 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.7 assists while shooting 50% from the floor in a 1-2 week for the Retrievers.
- Became first America East player in more than a decade to score 20+ points in first two collegiate games.
- Recorded a double-double in her first collegiate game, scoring 21 points and grabbing 10 rebounds in a season-opening win over Eastern (Pa.).
- Scored 23 points on 8-of-14 shooting to go with five Rebounds in a loss at Coppin St.
- Notched 17 points, nine rebounds, three assists and two steals in a loss to UMES.
Around the League
- Albany is 3-0 and has won 19-straight regular season games entering this week. The Great Danes defeated Marist, the No. 3 ranked mid-major team in the country.
- Maine has started 2-0 for the first time under head coach Richard Barron.
- UMass Lowell starts a string of nine-straight road games.
- Stony Brook eclipsed the 80-point mark for the first time since 2007 with an 83-79 win at Bradley, who was receiving votes in the mid-major poll.
- Stony Brook’s Brittany Snow became the first Seawolf to score 30+ points in a game since 2007 with 30 points and nine rebounds vs. Bradley.
- Maine had just seven turnovers vs. Bryant, the first time with fewer than 10 turnovers in a game since 2010.
Nov. 11 – Player of the Week: Shereesha Richards, So., Albany; Rookie of the Week: Kristina White, Fr., Vermont
Nov. 18 – Player of the Week: Shereesha Richards, So., Albany; Rookie of the Week: Sara Tarbert, Fr., UMBC