Stony Brook's Warney, Binghamton's Richards Net Weekly Honors
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - A historic performance by Stony Brook's Jameel Warney capped off a dominant week and earned the sophomore America East men's basketball weekly honors Monday. He was joined by Binghamton's Magnus Richards, the Rookie of the Week:
Player of the Week
Jameel Warney, So., Forward, Stony Brook
- Put up monster numbers, averaging 24.0 points, 14.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists while shooting 72 percent from the field in three games last week.
- Was named MVP of the 2KSports Classic Detroit Sub-Regional.
- His week was highlighted by a 32-point, 21-rebound performance in Stony Brook's 104-102 triple-overtime win at Detroit Sunday.
- It was the first 30-point, 20-rebound performance by an America East player since Vermont's Marqus Blakely accomplished the feat on Feb. 20, 2008.
- Also had a 23-point, 19-board effort in a win over Florida Atlantic Saturday.
Magnus Richards, Fr., Binghamton
- Tallied career highs of 12 points and seven rebounds in Binghamton's loss to Radford Saturday.
- Shot 5-of-6 from the field.
- Ten of those 12 points came in the first half.
- Stony Brook is 5-2 with wins over Marist, Haverford, reigning CAA regular-season champion Northeastern, Florida Atlantic and Detroit this year.
- Vermont nearly snapped Duke's 105-game home court win streak against non-conference opponents Sunday.
- The Blue Devils edged the Catamounts, 91-90 as Rodney Hood sank a free throw with 5 seconds left and UVM was unable to get a shot off.
- Hector Harold scored a career-high 24 points off the bench.
- Jameel Warney had a 32-point, 21-rebound performance in Stony Brook's 104-102 triple-overtime win at Detroit Sunday.
- It was the first 30-point, 20-rebound performance by an America East player since Vermont's Marqus Blakely on Feb. 20, 2008.
- Warney earned MVP honors at the 2KSports Classic Detroit Sub-Regional.
- Stony Brook's Anthony Jackson scored a career-high 36 points in a loss to Toledo Friday.
- The 36 points were the most by an America East player since Boston University's John Holland had 43 on Feb. 20, 2010.
- UMass Lowell plays at Cincinnati Tuesday on ESPN3.
2013-14 Men's Basketball Weekly Awards
Nov. 11 - Player of the Week: Anthony Jackson, Stony Brook
Rookie of the Week: Nick Madray, Binghamton
Nov. 18 - Co-Players of the Week: Jordan Reed, Binghamton/Chris Pelcher, UNH
Rookie of the Week: Rodney Elliott, UMBC
Nov. 25 - Player of the Week: Jameel Warney, Stony Brook
Rookie of the Week: Magnus Richards, Binghamton