Richards, Hayner Earn Week 6 WBB Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Albany sophomore Shereesha Richards averaged a double-double in a 1-1 week for the Great Danes to earn her fifth America East Player of the Week honor this season, while UMass Lowell grabbed its first America East weekly award as Nicole Hayner was named Rookie of the Week:
Player of the Week
Shereesha Richards, So., Albany
- Averaged a double-double with 20 points and 12.5 rebounds to lead the America East in both categories last week and help Albany go 1-1.
- Had back-to-back double-doubles for her fourth and fifth of the season.
- Connected on 54.2-percent of her field goal attempts.
- Scored 21 points and grabbed 11 rebounds while going 7-for-11 from the floor in a road win at NJIT.
- Had 19 points, 14 rebounds and two assists as Albany suffered its first loss of the season to Quinnipiac on Sunday.
Rookie of the Week
Nicole Hayner, Fr., UMass Lowell
- Scored a career-high 18 points in UMass Lowell’s only game of the week at Rhode Island.
- Hit five 3-pointers in the contest, going 5-for-12 from beyond the arc.
- Also added two rebounds and one steal.
Around the League
- Albany had its 24-game regular season winning streak come to an end vs. Quinnipiac on Sunday. The Great Danes are 8-1 on the season.
- The 5 Players of the Week awards for Shereesha Richards are tied for second most in a single season.
- Stony Brook is one win shy of the team’s best 10-game start in the program’s DI history.
- Albany’s Shereesha Richards made 15 field goals vs. Dartmouth, the most for an America East player since New Hampshire’s Morgan Frame made 15 at wagner on 12/21/2011.
- Vermont’s 95 points vs. UMass Lowell are the most for any America East Conference team since the Catamounts posted 92 vs. Albany on Feb. 10, 2010.
- Maine started 3-0 for the first time since 1989.
- Stony Brook eclipsed the 80-point mark for the first time since 2007 with an 83-79 win at Bradley, who was receiving votes in the mid-major poll.
- Stony Brook’s Brittany Snow became the first Seawolf to score 30+ points in a game since 2007 with 30 points and nine rebounds vs. Bradley.
Nov. 11 – Player of the Week: Shereesha Richards, So., Albany; Rookie of the Week: Kristina White, Fr., Vermont
Nov. 18 – Player of the Week: Shereesha Richards, So., Albany; Rookie of the Week: Sara Tarbert, Fr., UMBC
Nov. 25 – Player of the Week: Shereesha Richards, So., Albany; Rookie of the Week: Kylie Butler, Fr., Vermont
Dec. 2 – Player of the Week: Niki Taylor, Jr., Vermont; Rookie of the Week: Sara Tarbert, Fr., UMBC
Dec. 9 – Co-Players of the Week: Shereesha Richards, So., Albany & Sabre Proctor, Jr., Stony Brook ; Rookie of the Week: Kori Bayne-Walker,Fr., Stony Brook
Dec. 16 – Players of the Week: Shereesha Richards, So., Albany; Rookie of the Week: Nicole Hayner, Fr., UMass Lowell