Maine Sweeps Season's 1st #AEBASE Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The America East baseball season opened over the weekend with Maine and Binghamton being the first two teams to take the field. Both teams went 1-2, with the Black Bears upsetting No. 13 Miami and the Bearcats earning a win at Duke. Maine swept the season’s first weekly awards:
Player of the Week
Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine
- Led Maine with a .545 (6-for-11) batting average, collecting hits in each of the three games against No. 13 Miami.
- Drove in a pair of runs, including what proved to be the game-winning run in Maine’s 3-1 victory on Saturday night.
- Was 2-for-2 in stolen base attempts.
Pitcher of the Week
Scott Heath, Jr., Maine
- Allow just one run on two hits over seven innings to earn the win in Maine’s upset victory over No. 13 Miami on Saturday night.
- Struck out eight Hurricanes while allowing just one walk.
Rookie of the Week
Jake Osborne, Fr., LF, Maine
- Went 2-for-3 with an RBI in his collegiate debut vs. No. 13 Miami on Sunday.
Around the League
- Maine upset No. 13 Miami, 3-1, on Saturday night. The Black Bears have had a win over a top-25 school in three of the past five seasons.
- Scott Heath threw seven innings in Maine’s, 3-1, win over Miami. The junior had thrown a total of eight innings in his first two seasons in Orono.
- Binghamton took one of three at Duke, beating the Blue Devils in the final game of the series, 7-6, on Sunday.
Feb. 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Sr., Pitcher of the Week: Scott Heath, Jr., Maine; Rookie of the Week: Jake Osborne, Fr., LF, Maine