Binghamton, Hartford, UMass Lowell Earn #AEBASE Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Three teams are featured in the America East baseball weekly awards as four more teams opened their seasons over the weekend. After earning a split in a four-game set with James Madison, Binghamton’s Bill Bereszniewicz was named Player of the Week. Hartford junior Sean Newcomb shutout Georgetown in five innings to be named Pitcher of the Week, and UMass Lowell freshman Ian Strom led the River Hawks to a pair of victories to earn Rookie of the Week accolades. Here’s a look at the week two award winners:
Player of the Week
Bill Bereszniewicz, Sr., CF, Binghamton
- Went 6-for-14 (.429) with five runs scored, four RBI, four walks and four stolen bases as Binghamton split a four-game series at James Madison.
- Led the conference in slugging percentage for the week at .786, with four of his six hits going for extra bases with three doubles and a triple.
- Went 3-for-4 to open the series with two doubles, a triple, two RBI and two runs scored in a 12-2 win for the Bearcats.
- Went 2-for-3 with an RBI and two stolen bases in game three of the series.
- Added 11 putouts in centerfield including a diving catch deep in center to rob JMU of extra bases.
Pitcher of the Week
Sean Newcomb, Jr., P, Hartford
- Shutout Georgetown in five innings of work, allowing just three hits and striking out nine in a no-decision in Hartford’s season-opener.
- Allowed just one runner to reach second base, facing 20 batters and did not allw an extra-base hit.
Rookie of the Week
Ian Strom, Fr., OF, UMass Lowell
- Tied for the league-lead in hitting last week, going 5-for-11 (.455) to help UMass Lowell win two of its first three Division I games.
- Recorded hits in all three games.
- Drove in four runs and had a pair of doubles, finishing the week with a .636 slugging percentage.
- Started the weekend going 2-for-5 with three RBI and two doubles as the River Hawks beat Temple, 14-3.
Around the League
- UMass Lowell went 2-1 in its first week of Division I play, beating Temple and splitting a pair of games with Rider.
- Binghamton received RBIs from 11 different players in the series vs. James Madison, including six from David Schanz to lead the conference.
- Maine has played the 13th-ranked team in the nation each of the first two weeks.
- Binghamton took one of three at Duke, beating the Blue Devils in the final game of the series, 7-6, on Sunday.
Feb. 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Sr., Pitcher of the Week: Scott Heath, Jr., Maine; Rookie of the Week: Jake Osborne, Fr., LF, Maine
Feb. 25 – Player of the Week: Bill Bereszniewicz, Sr., CF, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Sean Newcomb, So., P, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Ian Strom, Fr., OF, UMass Lowell