Miles Thompson, MacKay Earn #AEMLAX Weekly Accolades
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - A week that saw America East men's lacrosse teams go 7-1 has produced a pair of weekly award winners who combined to score 17 goals and hand out four assists last week. Albany's Miles Thompson is the Player of the Week while Vermont's Ian MacKay is the Rookie of the Week for the third week of the season:
Player of the Week
Miles Thompson, Sr., Attacker, Albany
- Tallied nine points on an America East season-high eight goals and one assist in #17/18 Albany's win over Harvard Saturday.
- Scored the Great Danes' first four scores and factored in on six of their seven first-half tallies.
- The Player of the Week honor is the third of his career.
- Is averaging a league-best 4.33 goals per game through three games.
Ian MacKay, Fr., Attacker, Vermont
- Racked up 12 points in leading Vermont to two wins last week.
- Scored a game-high five times, the first goals of his collegiate career, in a 13-8 win over Dartmouth Tuesday.
- Tallied a game-high seven points on four goals and three assists in a 13-9 win over Boston University Saturday.
- America East teams went 7-1 last week, including a perfect 6-0 on Saturday.
- Vermont (2-1) won twice, beating Dartmouth and Boston U., to improve to 2-1 on the season.
- UMBC (2-1)improved to 2-1 with a 14-5 win over Richmond Saturday.
- Matt Gregoire had a career-high five goals to pace the Retrievers while Connor Gordon made 11 stops in the cage.
- Albany (1-2), which moved up spots in the USILA Coaches Poll to # and spots in the Warrior Media Poll to after beating Harvard, 14-8.
- Miles Thompson equaled the Crimson's goal total with eight scores of his own.
- Stony Brook (2-2) scored six times in the fourth quarter to beat Rutgers, 12-9.
- Paul O'Donnell's overtime goal gave Binghamton (2-2) an 11-10 win over Hobart.
- Hartford (2-2) upended Monmouth, 12-7, behind Adam Yee's facoff performance as he won 20-of-23 draws and picked up 10 ground balls.
2014 Men's Lacrosse Weekly Awards
Feb. 17 - Player of the Week: Kevin O'Shea, Hartford
Rookie of the Week: Kyle Rowe, Stony Brook
Feb. 24 - Player of the Week: Brody Eastwood, Stony Brook
Rookie of the Week: Max Maxwell, UMBC
March 3 - Player of the Week: Miles Thompson, Albany
Rookie of the Week: Ian MacKay, Vermont