UMass Lowell Sweeps #AEBASE Weekly Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – After a 3-1 weekend, the UMass Lowell River Hawks swept the week three America East baseball awards. The River Hawks earned two wins over Cincinnati and split with Virginia Tech at the Virginia Tech Tournament. Junior Danny Mendick was named Player of the Week, senior Mike Calzetta earned Pitcher of the Week and Steve Steve Xirinachs took home Rookie of the Week. Here’s a look at the week two award winners:
Player of the Week
Danny Mendick, Jr., SS, UMass Lowell
- Went 7-fo-13 to rank second in the league last week with a .538 batting average, helping UMass Lowell to a 3-1 weekend with two wins against Cincinnati and one over Virginia Tech.
- Was constantly on-base through the four games, receiving five walks to go with his seven hits, finishing with a .684 on-base percentage.
- Went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and a walk in the River Hawks’ 6-2 win over the Bearcats.
- Had one hit and two walks in a 4-3 extra-innings loss to Virginia Tech.
- Drove in a pair of runs with singles while going 3-for-4 with a run scored and a walk as UMass Lowell got past Virginia Tech, 6-4.
Pitcher of the Week
Mike Calzetta, Sr., RHP, UMass Lowell
- Shutout Cincinnati out for 6.1 innings on a no-decision, allowing only three hits and not issuing a walk.
- Finished with seven strikeouts.
- Retired the first nine batters before allowing the first two to reach in the fourth. He then struck out the next three batters.
- Only five runners reached base and only three got into scoring position. He did not allow an extra-base hit.
Rookie of the Week
Steve Xirinachs, Fr., P, UMass Lowell
San Diego, Calif.
- Picked up two saves in two appearances against Cincinnati and Virginia Tech.
- Went 2.1 innings, allowing just one runner to reach base while striking out two in a 6-2 win over Cincinnati.
- Closed the door in the bottom of the ninth against Virginia Tech, allowing one run in a 6-4 win over the Hokies.
Around the League
- UMass Lowell is 5-2 to start its Division I era, going 3-1 over the weekend with a sweep of Cincinnati and a split against Virginia Tech.
- UMBC sophomore Kevin LaChance collected a hit in each of his first three games of the season and has a four-game hitting streak dating back to last season.
- Maine junior Scott Heath has both of Maine’s wins on the mound this season.
- UAlbany picked-up its first win of the season, topping reigning Big South champion, Campbell. The win was Jon Mueller’s 303rd of his career.
Feb. 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Sr., Pitcher of the Week: Scott Heath, Jr., Maine; Rookie of the Week: Jake Osborne, Fr., LF, Maine
Feb. 25 – Player of the Week: Bill Bereszniewicz, Sr., CF, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Sean Newcomb, So., P, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Ian Strom, Fr., OF, UMass Lowell
March 4 – Player of the Week: Danny Mendick, Jr., SS, UMass Lowell; Pitcher of the Week: Mike Calzetta, Sr., UMass Lowell; Rookie of the Week: Steve Xirinachs, Fr., P, UMass Lowell