Four Teams Featured in #AEBASE Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – America East conference play opened last week and league newcomer UMass Lowell sits atop the standings after sweeping a two-game set against Binghamton. The River Hawks are 8-2 in their first season of Division I. Maine wrapped-up play in Florida with a 3-3 record and senior Troy Black was named Player of the Week with hits in all six games. A pair of outstanding pitching performances by Hartford’s Sean Newcomb and Albany’s Matt Gallup turned into Co-Pitcher of the Week honors and UMBC’s Hunter Dolshun took home Rookie of the Week accolades. Here’s a look at the week five award winners:
Player of the Week
Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine
- Led Maine and ranked second in the conference with a .464 batting average, collecting 13 hits in 28 at-bats.
- Helped Maine to a 3-3 record on the team’s trip to Florida, recording at-least one hit in all six games including five multiple-hit games and two three-hit games.
- Tied for the conference lead last week in both RBI (five) and runs scored (six).
- Committed just one error in 27 chances at shortstop.
- Went 3-for-5 with three RBI in win over Bowling Green.
- Drove in runs against Northwestern and Evansville.
Co-Pitcher of the Week
Matt Gallup, Jr., P, Albany
- Earned a save and a win as Albany took two of three from UMBC in the team’s conference-opening series.
- Shut the door in a 9-7 win in game two, allowing just one hit while striking out one in one inning of work to grab the save.
- Went three innings in game three, allowing two hits while striking out three to pick-up the, 6-4, series clinching win.
Co-Pitcher of the Week
Sean Newcomb, Jr., P, Hartford
- Tossed seven shutout innings in a 1-0 win over Sacred Heart.
- Allowed just two hits while striking out eight against the Pioneers.
- Has not allowed an earned run in 24.2 innings of work, giving up just 10 hits and striking out a team-best 31 batters.
Rookie of the Week
Hunter Dolshun, Fr., DH, UMBC
- Went 5-for-13 in a 2-2 week for UMBC, driving in five runs and scoring four.
- Tied for the league-lead last week with five RBI while leading the conference with an .846 slugging percentage.
- Slugged a pair of home runs, including a two-run shot as part of a five-run sixth-inning as the Retrievers downed Navy.
- Drove in a run in UMBC’s 3-2 win over Albany, going 1-for-4.
- Went 3-for-3 in game two of the series, hitting a home run while recording two RBI.
- Reached base in all four games last week.
Around the League
- UMass Lowell improved to 8-2 with three wins last week, defeating URI (picked third in the A-10) and sweeping two games from America East preseason co-favorite Binghamton.
- Freshman Andrew Casali hit a walk-off single to give UMBC game one of the series against Albany, 3-2.
- Albany came back from 4-0 deficits in back-to-back games to take two of three from UMBC.
Feb. 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Sr., Pitcher of the Week: Scott Heath, Jr., Maine; Rookie of the Week: Jake Osborne, Fr., LF, Maine
Feb. 25 – Player of the Week: Bill Bereszniewicz, Sr., CF, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Sean Newcomb, So., P, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Ian Strom, Fr., OF, UMass Lowell
March 4 – Player of the Week: Danny Mendick, Jr., SS, UMass Lowell; Pitcher of the Week: Mike Calzetta, Sr., UMass Lowell; Rookie of the Week: Steve Xirinachs, Fr., P, UMass Lowell
March 11 – Player of the Week: Kevin Courtney, Sr., 1B, Stony Brook; Pitcher of the Week: Frankie Vanderka, Sr., P, Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Casey Baker, Fr., Util., Stony Brook
March 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Co-Pitchers of the Week: Matt Gallup, Jr., P, Albany & Sean Newcomb, Jr., P, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Hunter Dolshun, Fr., DH, UMBC