Vanderka Throws No-Hitter, Named #AEBASE Pitcher of the Week
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The second week of America East Conference baseball action came to a close on Sunday and Stony Brook is atop the standings after a sweep of Albany, also netting the Seawolves three weekly awards. Hartford took two of three from Binghamton & UMBC won the series against Maine. Here are the week six awards:
Player of the Week
Robert Chavarria, Jr., 2B, Stony Brook
Garden Grove, Calif.
- Led Stony Brook and ranked third in the America East with a .421 batting average last week, collecting eight hits in 19 at-bats as the Seawolves went 4-1.
- Scored a league-best eight runs, including six in a three-game sweep of Albany.
- Finished with a .500 on-base percentage with three walks to go with eight hits and a .421 slugging percentage.
- Did not commit an error in 20 chances at second base.
- Went 3-for-4 with two runs and an RBI as Stony Brook knocked off USC, 4-3, in the team’s first win over a Pac-12 school.
- Had at-least one hit in all five games, stole two bases and drove in three runs.
Pitcher of the Week
Frankie Vanderka, Sr., RHP, Stony Brook
- Threw his third career no-hitter in a 7-0 win over Albany in game one of the series.
- Did not allow a hit, walked two batters and hit one as he faced just two over the minimum.
- Struck out a season-high 10 batters and held Albany to 0-for-4 with runners on base.
Co-Rookie of the Week
David Drouin, Fr., P, Hartford
- Went seven innings, allowing only one run on three hits and no walks while striking out four in a no-decision against Binghamton.
- Hartford went on to win the game, 2-1.
- The seven innings were a season-long for the freshman.
Co-Rookie of the Week
Cameron Stone, Fr., RHP, Stony Brook
West Haven, Conn.
- Recorded a pair of saves, shutting out opponents over 4.1 innings of while striking out six.
- Went 2.1 innings, allowing two hits and two walks while striking out two to grab the save in Stony Brook’s, 4-3, win at USC.
- Went two innings, giving up one hit and striking out four to earn the save in the Seawolves’ 7-3 win over Albany in the series finale.
Around the League
- Stony Brook earned its first win over a Pac-12 school, beating USC, 4-3, to start the week.
- UMBC earned its first series win over Maine since joining the America East in 2003-04.
- Hartford notched its first series win over Binghamton since both teams joined Division I back in 2002.
- The 7-7 start for the Hawks was the best 14 game start since 1988 when the team began 11-3.
- Hartford starter Sean Newcomb has not allowed an earned run in 32.1 innings this season after throwing eight shutout against Binghamton over the weekend. He is one of only two pitchers in Division I to accomplish the feat.
Feb. 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Sr., Pitcher of the Week: Scott Heath, Jr., Maine; Rookie of the Week: Jake Osborne, Fr., LF, Maine
Feb. 25 – Player of the Week: Bill Bereszniewicz, Sr., CF, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Sean Newcomb, So., P, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Ian Strom, Fr., OF, UMass Lowell
March 4 – Player of the Week: Danny Mendick, Jr., SS, UMass Lowell; Pitcher of the Week: Mike Calzetta, Sr., UMass Lowell; Rookie of the Week: Steve Xirinachs, Fr., P, UMass Lowell
March 11 – Player of the Week: Kevin Courtney, Sr., 1B, Stony Brook; Pitcher of the Week: Frankie Vanderka, Sr., P, Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Casey Baker, Fr., Util., Stony Brook
March 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Co-Pitchers of the Week: Matt Gallup, Jr., P, Albany & Sean Newcomb, Jr., P, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Hunter Dolshun, Fr., DH, UMBC
March 24 – Player of the Week: Robert Chavarria, Jr., 2B, Stony Brook; Pitcher of the Week: Frankie Vanderka, Sr., P, Stony Brook; Co-Rookies of the Week: David Drouin, Fr., P, Hartford & Cameron Stone, Fr., P, Stony Brook