Pitching Highlights #AEBASE Weekly Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Rain and snow wiped out many America East baseball games last week, but it did not stop tremendous pitching performances from stealing the spotlight on Saturday in West Hartford, Conn. Hartford junior Sean Newcomb earned Pitcher of the Week honors after seven no-hit innings of work against Stony Brook in game one of the doubleheader. Seawolves’ freshman Ryley MacEachern returned the favor in game two of the series with a complete-game shutout to be named Rookie of the Week. UMBC junior Jake Barnes was named Player of the Week after hitting .500 to lead the conference. Here are the week seven awards:
Player of the Week
Jake Barnes, Jr., OF, UMBC
- Led the conference last week with a .500 batting average, going 7-for-14 in UMBC’s four games, driving in three runs.
- Went 2-for-4 to start the week against Navy, driving in three runs.
- Recorded at-least one hit in each of the four games and two hits in three of the four contests.
- Had a pair of doubles and finished with a .643 slugging percentage.
Pitcher of the Week
Sean Newcomb, Jr., LHP, Hartford
- Threw seven no-hit innings in a 1-0 shutout of Stony Brook in the first game of the weekend series.
- He finished with eight strikeouts while walking four.
- Newcomb set the side down in order four times and allowed just 2 runners to reach scoring position.
- Has not allowed an earned run this season in 39.2 innings of work.
Rookie of the Week
Ryley MacEachern, Fr., RHP, Stony Brook
- Tossed his first career complete-game shutout, blanking Hartford in a 1-0 victory in the second game of a doubleheader.
- Scattered three hits and struck out seven without issuing a walk.
- Faced just two batters over the minimum of 21.
- Did not allow a runner to reach second base until there were two outs in the seventh inning.
- Six of his seven punchouts were swinging.
Around the League
- Hartford’s Sean Newcomb is the only player in the country to not allow an earned run yet this year. He has a 0.00 ERA in 39.2 innings.
- UMass Lowell and Maine had their series canceled over the weekend due to snow remaining on the field in Orono.
- UMBC freshman Hunter Dolshun has an eight-game hitting streak after collecting six hits in four games last week.
Feb. 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Sr., Pitcher of the Week: Scott Heath, Jr., Maine; Rookie of the Week: Jake Osborne, Fr., LF, Maine
Feb. 25 – Player of the Week: Bill Bereszniewicz, Sr., CF, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Sean Newcomb, So., P, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Ian Strom, Fr., OF, UMass Lowell
March 4 – Player of the Week: Danny Mendick, Jr., SS, UMass Lowell; Pitcher of the Week: Mike Calzetta, Sr., UMass Lowell; Rookie of the Week: Steve Xirinachs, Fr., P, UMass Lowell
March 11 – Player of the Week: Kevin Courtney, Sr., 1B, Stony Brook; Pitcher of the Week: Frankie Vanderka, Sr., P, Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Casey Baker, Fr., Util., Stony Brook
March 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Co-Pitchers of the Week: Matt Gallup, Jr., P, Albany & Sean Newcomb, Jr., P, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Hunter Dolshun, Fr., DH, UMBC
March 24 – Player of the Week: Robert Chavarria, Jr., 2B, Stony Brook; Pitcher of the Week: Frankie Vanderka, Sr., P, Stony Brook; Co-Rookies of the Week: David Drouin, Fr., P, Hartford & Cameron Stone, Fr., P, Stony Brook
April 1 – Player of the Week: Jake Barnes, Jr., OF, UMBC; Pitcher of the Week: Sean Newcomb, Jr., RHP, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Ryley MacEachern, Fr., RHP, Stony Brook