Binghamton Sweeps #AEBASE Weekly Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - After going 4-0 last week including a three-game sweep of conference opponent UMBC, Binghamton swept the week eight America East baseball honors. Jake Thomas was named Player of the Week, Jake Cryts earned Pitcher of the Week and Eddie Posavec took home Rookie of the Week accolades. Hartford also earned a series sweep of Maine over the weekend, while Albany took two of three from UMass Lowell. Here is a look at the week eight award winners:
Player of the Week
Jake Thomas, Jr., OF, Binghamton
- Hit .438 (7-for-16) with two home runs, eight RBI and seven runs scored to help Binghamton to a 4-0 week.
- Led the conference in home runs (2) and slugging percentage (.812) last week while tying for the conference lead in RBI (8) and runs scored (7)
- Drove in two runs and scored three in a non-conference win over NJIT.
- Went 6-for-8 in a Sunday doubleheader against UMBC, helping the Bearcats finish a the series sweep.
- Slugged two home runs, accounting for four RBI while scoring three runs in the series finale.
Pitcher of the Week
Jake Cryts, So., RHP, Binghamton
Schuylkill Haven, Pa.
- Tossed 10 scoreless innings in a pair of appearances last week, allowing just vie hits while striking out nine.
- Threw three innings, allowing two hits and striking out four in a mid-week game against NJIT.
- Notched seven scoreless innings, allowing three hits and striking out five in a 7-3 win over UMBC.
Rookie of the Week
Eddie Posavec, Fr., C, Binghamton
- Helped Binghamton to a 4-0 week by going 7-for-15 (.467 avg.) with six RBI and five runs scored.
- Went 7-for-11 in a three-game sweep of UMBC.
- Finished with a .600 slugging percentage, notching two doubles and five singles.
- Went 4-for-4 with three RBI and two runs scored in the series opener against the Retrievers.
- Followed that with a 2-for-4 performance with three more RBI and two runs scored in game two of the series. Drove in the game-winning run with a squeeze bunt single.
Around the League
- Binghamton has won four-straight and five of the last six after a slow start to the season.
- Albany’s Evan Harasta hit a two-out, three-run walk-off home run in game one of the series against UMass Lowell to give the Great Danes an 8-7 win. Albany won two of three in the series.
- Albany had three home runs in the series against the River Hawks, the first time the team had three or more home runs in a series since 2012 against Hartford.
- Stony Brook had an impressive non-conference weekend, going 2-1 with wins over Northeast powers Bryant and UConn.
- Maine’s five conference losses have come by a combined six runs.
- Hartford and Binghamton each earned series sweeps.
Feb. 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Sr., Pitcher of the Week: Scott Heath, Jr., Maine; Rookie of the Week: Jake Osborne, Fr., LF, Maine
Feb. 25 – Player of the Week: Bill Bereszniewicz, Sr., CF, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Sean Newcomb, So., P, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Ian Strom, Fr., OF, UMass Lowell
March 4 – Player of the Week: Danny Mendick, Jr., SS, UMass Lowell; Pitcher of the Week: Mike Calzetta, Sr., UMass Lowell; Rookie of the Week: Steve Xirinachs, Fr., P, UMass Lowell
March 11 – Player of the Week: Kevin Courtney, Sr., 1B, Stony Brook; Pitcher of the Week: Frankie Vanderka, Sr., P, Stony Brook; Rookie of the Week: Casey Baker, Fr., Util., Stony Brook
March 17 – Player of the Week: Troy Black, Sr., SS, Maine; Co-Pitchers of the Week: Matt Gallup, Jr., P, Albany & Sean Newcomb, Jr., P, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Hunter Dolshun, Fr., DH, UMBC
March 24 – Player of the Week: Robert Chavarria, Jr., 2B, Stony Brook; Pitcher of the Week: Frankie Vanderka, Sr., P, Stony Brook; Co-Rookies of the Week: David Drouin, Fr., P, Hartford & Cameron Stone, Fr., P, Stony Brook
April 1 – Player of the Week: Jake Barnes, Jr., OF, UMBC; Pitcher of the Week: Sean Newcomb, Jr., RHP, Hartford; Rookie of the Week: Ryley MacEachern, Fr., RHP, Stony Brook
April 8 – Player of the Week: Jake Thomas, Jr., OF, Binghamton; Pitcher of the Week: Jake Cryts, So., RHP, Binghamton; Rookie of the Week: Eddie Posavec, Fr., C, Binghamton