Binghamton, UMBC, Stony Brook Sweep #AESB Series
Binghamton, UMBC and Stony Brook all swept America East softball series of the weekend as the season hits the home stretch with just two weekends of league play remaining. Recap the weekend action:
- UMBC extended itswin streak to four games, outscoring UMass Lowell, 23-9 over three games en route to a sweep.
- After starting off 0-5 in America East play, UMBC is 5-1 in its last six games.
- In game one, UMBC scored four times in the third capped by a two-run single by Caitlin Chance, en route to 10-2 victory.
- Bridget O'Malley powered a three-run sixth with a two-run home run, her third of the year.
- Jessica Holte picked up the win by allowing just two runs over six innings.
- In game two, UMass Lowell took a 5-4 lead to the bottom of the seventh and got two outs before O'Malley crushed a three-run walkoff homer to give UMBC a 7-5 win.
- The River Hawks took the lead in the fifth on Brianna Martin's grand slam.
- In game three, UMBC scored twice in each of the first three innings on way to a 6-2 win.
- Chance delivered a solo homer in the second while Mary Hartman crushed a two-run shot in the third.
- Jessica Holte improved to 16-9 on the season by allowing just one earned run and striking out nine in a complete-game effort.
- Binghamton outscored Hartford, 27-11, en route to a three-game sweep of the Hawks.
- In the series opener, Binghamton got home runs from Jessica Bump, Sydney Harbaugh and Lisa Cadogan on its way to an 8-0 win.
- The Bearcats scored five times in the fourth, capped by a grand slam from Cadogan, her fifth long ball of the season.
- In the second game, Crysti Eicher's fourth inning two-run single proved to be the difference as Binghamton posted a 9-8 win.
- The Bearcats scored three times in the first on a three-run homer from Bump.
- Hartford scored six times in the top of the second, banging out seven hits before recording an out.
- Laney came out of the bullpen allowed two runs over six innings to earn her second win of the day.
- In the series finale, the Bearcats scored seven times in the first two innings on their way to a 10-3 win.
- Taylor Chaffee powered the win by clubbing a pair of home runs, one in the second and one in the sixth.
- Stony Brook pitched its way to a three-game sweep of Maine, allowing just one run in the series and extended its win streak to 10 games.
- The first-place Seawolves improved to 13-1 in America East play and became the first team to clinch a spot in the four-team conference tournament.
- Alexandra Pisciotta drove in the game's only run to power Stony Brook to a 1-0 win in the series opener.
- Pisciotta delivered a two-out single to right field that plated Lexie Shue.
- Allison Cukrov hurled another shutout, her third of the season, allowing just four hits and striking out six in a complete-game effort.
- In the middle game, the Seawolves scored twice in the third and added a single run in the fifth en route to a 3-1 win.
- The Seawolves got another strong pitching performance from Cukrov, who allowed just one run on two hits while fanning five to win her 14th-straight decision.
- Shayla Giosia homered for SBU, while Jean Stevens his a long ball for Maine.
- In the finale, Giosia delivered a two-run double in the third as Stony Brook shut out the Black Bears, 2-0.
- The run was all Jane Sallen needed as she hurled a three-hit shutout, striking out three.