Albany, UMBC, Maine Take #AESB Series
Albany and UMBC swept America East softball series over the weekend to secure America East Championship berths as the season hits the home stretch with just one weekends of league play remaining. Additionally, Maine took two of three games from Binghamton, but the Bearcats were able to lock up a tournament bid for the third-straight year and will join Stony Brook, Albany and UMBC in the field.
Recap the weekend action:
- Albany extended its win streak to five games, outscoring UMass Lowell, 23-4 over three games en route to a sweep.
- The Great Danes, who have won eight-straight league games, clinched an America East Championship berth.
- In game one, Albany scored three times in the first and four times in the fourth en route to a 9-0 win.
- Elizabeth Snow went 3-for-3 with four RBI.
- Brittany MacFawn allowed one run on two hits over six innings while striking out 10.
- In game two, Marlin Castro delivered a two-run double in the fifth inning which proved to be the difference in Albany's 4-3 victory.
- Mackenzie Thompson threw three shutout innings of relief to pick up the win.
- Ali Ferraro had two hits and two RBI for the River Hawks.
- MacFawn spun a no-hitter as Albany won the finale, 10-0.
- Charlise Castro went 2-for-3 with three RBI and belted her sixth home run of the season.
- After the dropping the series opener, Maine won a pair of close games to take the series.
- All three games were decided by two runs or less.
- Despite dropping the series, Binghamton clinched an America East Championship berth.
- In the opener, Sydney Harbaugh belted a two-run homer in the seventh to break a 3-3 tie as Binghamton won, 5-3.
- Demi Laney struck out 11 in a complete-game effort to pick up her 13th win of the season.
- In the middle game of the set, Maine scored single runs in the first, second and fifth frames on its way to a 3-1 win.
- Jessica Burk drove in two of Maine's three runs.
- Hannah Hill allowed one run on four hits in a complete-game effort to earn the victory.
- In the series finale, EmJ Fogel won it for the Black Bears with a double in the bottom of 10th.
- Fogel went 3-for-5 and knocked in all three runs.
- UMBC extended its America East win streak to seven games and clinched an America East tournament bid for the first time in three seasons by sweeping Hartford.
- In game one, UMBC scored four times in the seventh en route to a 7-5 win.
- Danielle O'Neill and Taylor Hall each belted two-run homers in the decisive frame.
- In game two, the Retrievers scored their runs early, plating two runs in the first and three in the second and held off the Hawks for a 5-4 win.
- Kelly Lane had three hits and drove in two runs for UMBC.
- In the finale, Jessica Holte hurled a no-hitter in a 10-0 win.
- Holte allowed just two walks and struck out four.
- UMBC scored six times in the second and four in the fourth.
- Taylor Hall drove in five runs.