#AEXC #AETF Student-Athletes Garner All-District Honors
GREENWOOD, Ind. - Two America East member institutions had student-athletes honored as members of the 2014 CoSIDA Capital One Academic All-District Track & Field/Cross Country Teams for District One (Conn., Mass., Maine, N.H., N.Y., R.I., Vt.). Hartford landed a trio of seniors in Megan Barry, John Busque and Erik Quitzau, while Vermont grabbed four spots in Nikki Braceras, Martin Kallur, Yolanda Ngarambe and Kirsten Weberg.
Megan Barry, Sr., Hartford, South Yarmouth, Mass.
- Posted a 3.92 GPA in Biology to be selected to the America East All-Academic Team three times over the course of the 2013-14 year (cross country, indoor/outdoor track & field).
- First Hartford Hawk to earn All-Conference honors in cross country on the women’s side.
- Finished second in the 5k and 10k at the league outdoor meet and went on to earn All-New England honors for winning those two events sat the New England Championship.
- Set new school standards in the 3000 and 5000 (indoor) and the 5000 and 10,000-meter runs (outdoor).
John Busque, Sr., Hartford, Manchester, Conn.
- Earned a 3.93 GPA in health sciences and physical therapy.
- A three-time 2013-14 All-Academic performer (cross country, indoor/outdoor track & field).
- Tallied a pair of All-New England honors in outdoor events (5000m, 10,000m).
- Set a personal-best time in the 5k with a seventh-place finish in the New England Indoor Championship.
- Set a school record in the 10,000-meter run, crossing the line with a sixth-place finish at the league meet.
- Placed fifth in the 10k at the New England Outdoor Championship.
Erik Quitzau, Sr., Hartford, Blackstone, Mass.
- Tallied a 3.81 GPA as a mechanical engineering major.
- Shattered program records in the 55, 60 and 100-meter hurdle events.
- Grabbed All-Conference honors with a seventh-place finish at the 2014 AE Indoor Championship in the 60-meter hurdles.
- Finished fourth in the Yale Spring Invite with a new 110-meter hurdle school standard.
Nikki Braceras, So., Vermont, Essex Junction, Vt.
- Posted a 3.96 GPA as an exercise and movement science major.
- Was the America East champion in the 10k run at the 2014 America East Outdoor Championship.
- Finished as runner-up in the Mt. SAC Relays 10k.
- All-New England selection in the 3000-meter run.
- Crossed the line at fourth for the 3k and 5k at the league outdoor meet.
Martin Kallur, So., Vermont, Falyn, Sweden
- Sports a spotless 4.00 Political Science GPA in his first two years as a Catamount.
- Received All-Academic honors in both indoor and outdoor track and field seasons.
- Finished second in the 100-meter hurdles at the 2014 league meet with a new school record.
- Placed fifth in the pole vault at the conference championship.
- Garnered All-New England honors during both indoor and outdoor season.
- Earned honors of All-Conference and All-New England in the 60-meter hurdles.
Yolanda Ngarambe, Sr., Vermont, Marsta, Sweden
- Owns a 3.43 GPA in psychology.
- Opened the 2013-14 academic year with a fourth-place finish at the AE Cross Country Championship.
- Set a new mark in the 800-meter run in the 2014 America East outdoor meet to defend her title.
- Shattered a 34-year school record in the 1500 at the Mt. SAC Relays.
- Claimed third consecutive crown in the 800 at the league indoor championship and grabbed second in the mile to earn Co-Coaches’ Award for accumulating the most points (20.5).
- Honored as New England champion in the mile, setting a new program standard.
Kirsten Weberg, Vermont, Sr., East Aurora, N.Y.
- Accumulated a 3.93 GPA in animal science over the course of her four years at UVM.
- Selected to the Capital One Academic All-District Team for the second-straight year.
- Took home the crown in the 3000-meter steeplechase for the second time in three seasons.
- Slotted eighth at the conference cross country meet for All-Conference honors for second consecutive season.
- An America East top-three finalist for the 2014 America East Woman of the Year award.