McFarland, Johnson, Martin Earn 1st #AEWSOC Awards
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The first weekend of America East women's soccer is in the books and seven teams earned victories including three finishing the weekend unbeaten. The Vermont Catamounts had a pair of overtime victories to win the TD Bank Classic, while Hartford earned two 1-0 wins to be the only two 2-0 teams. Reigning champion UMBC won its only game of the week, 1-0, over Navy. Here are the week one award winners:
Co-Player of the Week
Chanel Johnson, Sr., M, New London, Conn
- Scored two goals in a 2-0 week for the Hawks.
- Tallied the game-winning goals in 1-0 road wins against Bryant and NJIT.
- Her goal vs. Bryant marked the earliest in a season she has scored a goal.
- The two scores were her fourth and fifth career game-winning goals.
Co-Player of the Week
Nikki McFarland, So., F, Deer Park, N.Y.
- Notched two goals and one assist while helping Vermont to a pair of overtime wins to win the TD Bank Classic.
- Lifted Vermont toa 3-2 overtime win with a game-winning goal 1:47 into OT against Youngstown State.
- Added a goal and an assist on the game-winner in a 3-2 double OT victory over Central Connecticut.
- Has scored in four-straight games dating back to last season.
- Named to the TD Bank Classic All-Tournament Team
Rookie of the Week
Sarah Martin, Fr., F, Bowie, Md.
- Scored the game-winning goal in her collegiate debut, a 3-2 double OT victory over Central Connecticut.
- Is the first rookie Catamount since Haley Marks in 2010 to score a game-winning goal in their debut.
- Added a gaol in the 3-2 overtime win against Youngstown State to help UVM win the TD Bank Classic.
- Named to the TD Bank Classic All-Tournament Team.
- Hartford's 2-0 start is the first time under John Natale the Hawks have won their opening games. It is the ninth time in program history the Hawks have started 2-0 and the first time since 1999.
- UMBC's win over Navy was their first season-opening victory since 2010 and gave the retrievers an 11-game hom win streak. UMBC also recorded its first win against Navy since Sept. 4, 1994.
- Maine's 1-0 win over Quinnnipiac marked its second-straight season-opening win.
- Vermont won its own tournament title, the TD Bank Classic, for the first time since 2009. It is the first time since 2003 the Catamounts have started 2-0.
- Vermont scored three goals in both game this season, marking the first time since 1997 UVM has scored three or more goals in back-to-back games.
Aug. 25 - Co-Players of the Week: Chanel Johnson, Hartford & Nikki McFarland, Vermont; Rookie of the Week: Sarah Martin, Vermont