Albany's Paltsios, UMBC's Nanov Garner #AEWSOC Weekly Honors
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Albany and UMBC were two of four America East women's soccer to pick up wins over the weekend and two players who were key to those wins earned conference honors this week. Here are the week two award winners:
Player of the Week
Caitlyn Paltsios, So., Midfield, Westford, Mass.
- Tallied seven points in two games last, including a career-high five in a win over Siena on Sunday.
- Scored her team's lone goal against Syracuse Friday and then racked up a goal and three assists in a 5-1 win over crosstown-rival Siena Sunday.
- The three assists set a new Albany program record.
Rookie of the Week
Lisa Nanov, Fr., Forward, Mechanicsburg, Pa.
- Scored twice in UMBC's comeback win over Loyola on Aug. 25.
- Tallied her first-career goal in the 54th minute against the Greyhounds, then scored the game winner in the 81st minute.
- Accumulated a team-best eight shots on the week.
- UMBC's 3-0 start is its first since 1996 and fourth in program history.
- The Retrievers were ranked ninth in the first NSCAA/Continental Tire Northeast Regional Poll on Aug. 26.
- Albany's win over Siena was its first since 2006.
- Binghamton picked up its first win of the season, a 5-0 victory over Manhattan on Sunday. Katie O'Neill scored twice for the Bearcats.
- Taylor Chianese's double-overtime goal in the 109th minute lifted UMass Lowell to a 2-1 win over Delaware State Friday.
- Stony Brook's Raven Edwards scored both Stony Brook goals in a 3-2 loss to Siena Thursday. The 2012 All-Rookie selection missed all of last season due to injury.
Aug. 25 - Co-Players of the Week: Chanel Johnson, Hartford & Nikki McFarland, Vermont; Rookie of the Week: Sarah Martin, Vermont
Sept. 2 - Player of the Week: Caitlyn Paltsios, Albany; Rookie of the Week: Lisa Nanov, UMBC