UMBC's Walker, Mirabella; UNH's Dunklau Take Home #AEVB Weekly Honors
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The 2014 collegiate volleyball season got underway last weekend as UMBC and Stony Brook each posted multiple wins. The Retrievers are off to a 4-0 start, its best 2007. Two Retrievers earned the first America East weekly awards of the year as a result. Here are the weekly award winners:
Player of the Week
Sherelle Walker, UMBC, Jr., Outside Hitter, New Freedom, Pa.
- Named MVP of UMES's Hawks Holiday Hulabuloo after leading UMBC to the tournament title with a 4-0 record.
- Averaged 2.79 kills per set while hitting a league-best .457 for the week.
- Added a team-best 14 blocks (1.0 per set).
Setter of the Week
Taylor Dunklau, New Hampshire, Sr., Setter, Mukwonago, Wis.
- Averaged a league-best 10.33 assists per set for UNH last week as the Wildcats hit .186 for the week.
- Had a double-double of 32 assists and 11 digs vs. UConn Saturday.
- Recorded 54 assists in a 3-2 win over Central Conn. State Saturday.
Rookie of the Week
Abbie Mirabella, UMBC, Fr., Outside Hitter, Hockessin, Del.
- Recorded a team-best 3.21 kills per set last week in earning all-tournament honors at the Hawks Holiday Hullabullo.
- Added a league-best 12 service aces and had 1.57 digs per set.
- UMBC won UMES' Hawks Holiday Hulabuloo by going a perfect 4-0 with wins over South Dakota State (3-0), Fairleigh Dickinson (3-0), Weber State (3-2) and UMES (3-0).
- The 4-0 start is UMBC's best since 2007.
- Stony Brook went 2-1 last weekend with wins over DePaul (3-1) and Bradley (3-2). The Seawolves are 2-0 in season openers under Coley Pawlikowski.
- Kathy Fletcher each earned all-tournament honors at the DePaul Invitational as the Seawolves placed second.
- Tori Forrest notched a career-best 25 kills to lead UNH to a 3-2 win over Central Connecticut State Saturday.
- Jackie Tamburri racked up 44 assists and 19 digs in Hartford's 3-2 win over Holy Cross Saturday.
Sept. 2 - Player of the Week: Sherrele Walker, UMBC; Setter of the Week: Taylor Dunklau, New Hampshire; Rookie of the Week: Abbie Mirabella, UMBC